Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: whats your 4x4 ?  (Read 10489 times)

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
whats your 4x4 ?
« on: March 07, 2009, 06:50:57 am »
slightly odd post, makes a change from animals ;D, our ford galaxy has died,so Im presently looking for a 4x4 to do all the towing etc running costs are v important the only 2 i have found are nissan xtrail and honda crv that will give me 39 mpg, what 4x4s are you guys and gals running?

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
Re: whats your 4x4 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 07:07:20 am »
We have a nissan patrol, m reg, pulls weight with ease like no other 4x4. Is heavy to drive but a fab car. Also a series 11 landy and a range rover. Have had a freelander, was husbands company car but it was definately a toy in comparison to the others.
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 08:05:56 am »
Hello,
We've had Landrovers in the household for the past twenty years. Started with a '76 Range Rover (V8 Petrol) which was a money pit, then went on to Discovery's. Both the 300tdi ('94) and the TD5 ('99) were reliable. The TD5 did 233K miles up until retirement (of the car) as the gear box was starting the grumble and I didn't want to be spending more on it than the car was worth. The present one a TDV6 ('07) hasn't shown any signs of bother and is by far the best car we've had in the household in terms of comfort, towing ability (it tows a 12x6 Ifor Williams trailer with no moaning at all) and off road ability - i.e. driving into the fields with the trailer to pick up stock.
It all depends on usage really. If it's down to a choice of smaller 4x4's the new shape Freelander would be the most capable, if it's down to ultimate reliability the Honda would be my choice (we've also had Honda's albeit cars - Civics & Jazzs).

Cheers

Gavin

DavidnChris

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 09:54:32 am »
SKODA Octavia Scout. Trust me.
Had a Freelander and it was the only vehicle I've ever owned in 40+ yrs of driving that I had to be towed in. Not to mention the brake failure leaving the multi storey car park, the wiper motor failure, and the total respray due to hand prints showing all over it. Less than 3 yrs old lost lots of money on it and it was the TD4 which I was told was the only one to have.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 11:56:01 am »
Kia Sportage and love it, will change it next year and probably get the bigger Sorrento.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 12:04:03 pm »
Hi,
We have a toyota hilux surf - it's an oldie but a goodie as they say !
After watching the 'Top Gear' guys try, and fail, to wreck one I thought it'd be the perfect choice for hubby (who's pretty hard on cars!) It also has the bonus of being able to run on a 50/50 mix of diesel and vegetable oil and this keeps costs down.  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 12:31:47 pm »
Nissan X Trail 2.2 diesel. We know nothing about cars so looked on "What Car" used car, 4x4 and the X Trail was No 1. We've not had it long and don't do many miles though. It seems quite greedy round the town but it's fab on a long journey. Went to Carlisle to a sale and seemed to be there in no time. It's really nice to drive.

Only drawback so far is that its the Sport model ( there weren't many for sale) and it has awful "chrome" bars round the bottom - they are really naff and it's on Dan's list to remove them!

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 05:18:50 pm »
We've just bought a '91 Landrover Discovery as a work horse. It's in great condition and the fully comp insurance is only £100!!
Brilliant vehicle.
carole

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 05:33:11 pm »
Here's my ex-mil 110 soft-top green beast. Fitted with a Wolf roll-cage in the rear,6 ton winch on the front,off-road tyres with a 6 inch lift and rock bars.Runs on a 2.5 turbo diesel n/a from a Disco. Wouldn't be without it now....... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 06:20:02 pm »
sorry to say, we have 3 of the dreaded gas guzzlers. a disco tdv6, which is my every day car, tractor, taxi, van,trailer puller etc. my wife runs a lexus hybrid (she loves it, i tolerate it) and an old 1977 landrover rebuild which is a long whel base, 110 with trick axles? which i tinker with as part of my work involves making  tools n stuff for landrovers.It is a truly disgusting vehicle which runs on any deisel type derivative and , when running, pulls for britain. useful for removing stumps, towing huts and chain harrowing paddocks. i have the disco out of brand loyalty, but expense apart i love it. i have had series one range rovers before and this disco beats them hands down all round. i want a defender limited edition with a different engine, or a bowler, but hey that would be outrageous. the japanese 4x4s are all pretty reliable, it just depends how hardore you need it to be.

Old Empty Barn

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 06:48:56 pm »
MrRee, you have a fine taste in Land Rover products !!  Here's a pic of our beast, like you we wouldn't be without it now - the perfect smallholders vehicle / tractor !!  ;D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 10:08:21 pm »
Have no 4x4, but currently a Transit van (great, and very useful, but it does get stuck in the mud!), an x reg Vauxhall astra, and the other half still has his Honda Civic TypeR. However, the TypeR isn't very practical now he has moved in here (has already crashed once because it couldn't cope with a centimetre of snow), plus he has his race car which needs towed about. Currently the van tows it, but he looking to get rid of the TypeR, and get something else, potentially a 4x4.

Have a friend with the a Kia Sorento, and he swears by it, so we have been looking at them. Also had a look at the Nissan Xtrail, but not seen one in the flesh yet.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 10:16:39 pm »
I must admit i really liked my Subaru Forester, but it was a little bit thirsty and the parts were expensive.  So now my wonderful Zafira takes me everywhere - except when it snows - then I stay at home  ;D

John had an old Shogun LWB which would go anywhere but the bodywork isn't suited to this country so it eventually disintegrated
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 10:41:59 pm »
Mr Ree.. I am in love with your 4x4, just what I want.. one day I will have one ;D

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 11:08:43 am »
Mine is a 1999 toyota hilux, single cab. With the high canopy on it. It is the bestestestesst ever!. 2,5 litre, not too greedy.

The canopy is big enough that when I go to riding club camp i can sleep in it comfortably. It has carpet down and i have a little gas cooker, lights, a mattress and bedding, music system, hooks for clothes etc. and still have space for storing bits and bobs. Those things are permentantly kept in the hilux in case i get caught out when i am on call for theatres, and I still have room for collecting feeds shaving setc. I even slept in it last new year when i went visiting up north. Everyone thinks its crazy untill they see how it is set up like a mini caravan.

because of the way the tailgate  comes down and the canopy tail flips up I also have a perfect all weather seat for jump judging at cross countries...I dont know what Ill do when i eventually have to give the hilux up. Mind you it only has 120k on the clock so should be able to double that. This is the exact toyota model that top gear tried to destroy and failed!!!! he he he
Emma
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS