Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Confused - girl on girl action - which one is on heat?  (Read 2971 times)

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Confused - girl on girl action - which one is on heat?
« on: November 03, 2011, 03:52:03 pm »
Does anyone know the answer to this?     When a sow/gilt shows a great deal of interest in another female pig, with lots of belly rubbing and mounting, is it the pig who is pretending to be a boar who is on heat, or the pig at the receiving end of all this unwanted attention?     Still not quite sure which way round it is meant to work!    Tamsaddle

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Confused - girl on girl action - which one is on heat?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 04:28:10 pm »
i've got a female that has been doing that with a younger gilt :) no swelling no other signs of heat on either of them.  Very noisy squeeling and VERY high pitched but that comes from both of them.  Will be readin ghtis thread with interest

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 04:37:01 pm »
I have a Berkshire gilt that tries to mount everything in sight when she comes into season  ::) but, if the other gilts are standing while she mounts them they will likely be in season too.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 04:43:30 pm »
Yes normally the one mounting that is on heat, although as HH says, could mean they both are!
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 05:06:59 pm »
My sows do this.

The LW sow takes the boars role and the SB stands to be mounted, in their case both are hogging. And it's always this way round !  :pig:
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 09:48:34 am »
These replies have been very useful.   After breakfast today our saddleback sow was mounting every other pig in the pen, including her daughters, despite her vulva looking much the same as usual.    However, with back pressure, one spray and a little stimulation she froze completely for 5 minutes - felt very sorry for her I didn't have either a boar or catheter available, but in 3 weeks time one or other will be provided for sure!   Thanks for your help - don't know what I'd do without this forum, it is brilliant being able to access all your knowledge and experience  -  Tamsaddle 

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 11:32:38 pm »
These replies have been very useful.   After breakfast today our saddleback sow was mounting every other pig in the pen, including her daughters, despite her vulva looking much the same as usual.    However, with back pressure, one spray and a little stimulation she froze completely for 5 minutes - felt very sorry for her I didn't have either a boar or catheter available, but in 3 weeks time one or other will be provided for sure!   Thanks for your help - don't know what I'd do without this forum, it is brilliant being able to access all your knowledge and experience  -  Tamsaddle
Generally as a sow is starting to come on heat she will jump arund all over every body else.  Then if there is no boar around she will continue unitl she goes on heat a day or so later.  The next time this happens you need to have semen or a boar ready to allow her to be mated. :( Poor old girl...... all those hormones running a round and not a man around to help out.... :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS