Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Christmas cakes and sourdough...  (Read 4201 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
Christmas cakes and sourdough...
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:21:24 pm »
Not together but I started soaking my fruit for my Christmas cake today (sherrytastic) and have also started my first ever sourdough starter.  I have been checking it every 5 minutes because I'm so excited.  They keep forever if you look after them properly so I am really looking forward to using it (hopefully next week) for the first time.  I lurve sourdough bread nom nom xx

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: Christmas cakes and sourdough...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 09:29:48 pm »
I refuse to even think about Christmas until the end of November!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 03:41:20 pm »
Started soaking fruit last week and now my cake is in the oven - and it smells fantastic!  Nom nom indeed. 

I have had a sour dough starter in my kitchen for well over a year now, and you have reminded me to use it!  Thanks! Double nom nom... :P

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 10:43:57 am »
I refuse to even think about Christmas until the end of November!
Thats because you're a bloke Tim! My OH thinks Xmas is brought by Santa ::) and all he has to do is make a quick dash to the shops on xmas eve!!  ::)
Xmas cake already baked and weekend after next i'm having a make for Xmas freezer day, sausage rolls, micnce pies, some meals to have over xmas, soups for lunches etc. We have a litter of pigs due 22nd Dec so you know when they're gonna arrive!! and i want to be prepared and be able to just pull something out the freezer and hey presto food on the table.
Mandy  :pig:

Pheasant pharmer

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Ebberston, North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:55:11 pm »
I had a go at making sourdough for the first time recently - what a carry on!  Apart from the fact that it took days from start to finish, it then took hours in the oven and still wasn't cooked through properly!

Anyone got any recipes to share that might be more successful. My husband loves it but at the moment he's gonna have to keep buying it!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 03:08:35 pm »
I used this one, after seeingit on his baking show a while back

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/sourdough-loaf-recipe

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 04:39:43 pm »
I'm using the one from the river cottage bread book.  I'll keep you posted as to how it goes x

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 11:53:58 pm »
I was given a batch of sourdough starter by a neighbour when we first moved to Scotland.  Unfortunately, I didn't know any one to pass it on to, as is the custom here, so it stopped with me, but it made me feel welcome at a time when I was a bit lost and lonely.  I managed to keep it going for quite a long time, and I wouldn't mind having another go for old time's sake, and this time I could pass it on to my friends and neighbours.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS