Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to kill turkeys?  (Read 15684 times)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
Re: When to kill turkeys?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 10:56:10 am »
How does everyone dispatch their turkeys? Last year I took them off to be done but I'm considering doing them my self this year. I use the broomhandle method on the chickens - does anyone do any different?

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 01:04:04 pm »
I use an electric stunner. Don't laugh (or you can if you like :-[) but this is what I do. From the time they hatch I sing to them when I feed them, the same song every day. I sing to them when I catch them up the evening before slaughter and I sing to them whilst I'm hanging them upside down and doing the deed. I can honestly say I haven't had one bird panic.
When I do other people's I obviously don't sing and encounter widespread panic which is not nice for me or for the birds I'm killing.
Mad or not????? :-\ You can answer honestly.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 01:31:05 pm »
No, I think that's awesome  :)

Dispatch day for any of my animals is always the hardest for me, and I always feel physically sick a couple of days before it is done or if I'm taking animals off to the abattoir - anything to minimise to distress to the animal is a good thing.

I think my singing would add more distress to the situation though.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 02:48:20 pm »
I dare say a bit of poetry would do :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 02:06:49 pm »
No, I think that's awesome  :)

Dispatch day for any of my animals is always the hardest for me, and I always feel physically sick a couple of days before it is done or if I'm taking animals off to the abattoir - anything to minimise to distress to the animal is a good thing.

I think my singing would add more distress to the situation though.

Hear hear.  It's inane chatter for me - if I tried to sing the same song it wouldn't sound the same twice, but rabbiting on clearly all sounds the same to BH and is what I use for calming all our livestock.  :D ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS