Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What can I do with aubergines?  (Read 9584 times)

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
Re: What can I do with aubergines?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 12:26:02 am »
Every so often I get an aubergine in my veg box.

Apart from moussaka  :yum: and roasting, what other ways to cook them are there?

Why do you need to do anything other than make Moussaka? One of our favourites.

I love moussaka.  But it is a labour-intensive dish, and I don't always have, or wish to spend, that much time in the kitchen.

Then cheat.. use part of a pre cooked large batch of mince and veg for the meat filling put a decent pinch of all spice in it the night before ..skip the aubergines if you feel like it .
Use sliced spuds instead and add thick sauce at lunch to cook in an oven  ready for tea.. or keep in fridge for the next day  and then cook it..
Even better if you have a timer to start and finish cooking like we do ..
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:45:12 am by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 07:39:10 am »
if you like curries, this one is  :yum:, but the frying takes time. We eat it lots with homemade flat bread . of course I use tinned tomatoes , as the frying of the aubergines takes quite a bit of time.
I wish I was better at growing them! :&>

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 09:54:46 am »
if you like curries, this one is  :yum:, but the frying takes time. We eat it lots with homemade flat bread . of course I use tinned tomatoes , as the frying of the aubergines takes quite a bit of time.
I wish I was better at growing them! :&>

Uh - was I expecting a recipe after that intro?   ???
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 10:28:19 am »
early morning and braindead, here it comes...  ::) ;D

http://www.nibblous.com/recipe/183

and I use minced ginger and garlic from a jar for this, just a shortcut, not cheating, as it tastes just fine  ;D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:30:55 am by northfifeduckling »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 11:38:52 am »
Thanks NFD - it says it's in Madhur Jaffrey's 'Indian Cookery' and I've just ordered a copy of that, so I'll definitely be trying that next time I have some eggplant!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 11:52:31 am »
we have an ancient paperback copy of the book which is so worn that some recipes are hardly legible now, as encrusted with the evidence of cooking them  ;D ;D a book worth having! You have to take it easy on the salt, she seems to be heavy on it -  unless it's been updated since ! Enjoy! :&>

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 04:40:25 pm »
I stuff them with minced beef or lamb/onion/curry paste all mixed up and oven bake for 20 minutes. very nice with boiled rice and cardomen.
Or sicilian spaghetti - sort of a twist on spag bol except you line a casserole dish with aubergine slices that have been quickly griddled in olive oil, spoon in your bolognaise sauce/spaghetti mix, mix in some parmesan and then cover the whole lot with more aubergine slices, bake in oven. Yum.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SMarshall

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 04:24:51 pm »
If you're going to the bother of frying some, fry them all and then freeze....makes making moussaka or parmigiana much quicker the next time!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 08:41:57 pm »
For that purpose baking them in the oven just brushed with olive oil both sides takes so much less fat and you don't have to watch them - just tried it first time after years of frying!  :&>

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 09:03:34 pm »
Im VERY sorry but I have to interupt everyone again and inform you all that

AUBERGINES ARE STILL DEVILS FOOD

and as such should be  :censored: :censored: avoided

have a nice pea instead :-*

Mx

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 11:12:46 pm »
baba ganosh is fantastic! i make loads of it!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS