Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goose wanted for Christmas - Angus  (Read 2704 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
goose wanted for Christmas - Angus
« on: October 24, 2011, 07:17:43 pm »
All of my OH and my children are away for Christmas dinner this year and it is just us and tha animals (bliss).  Quite a change from last year where I cooked for 21 in total!  Anyway, we were thinking of trying something different that neither of us has tried before and goose seems the perfect answer.  Wondered if anyone sold them near to me or could recommend someone.  Many thanks.
Melanie

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: goose wanted for Christmas - Angus
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:07:47 pm »
I love goose. However, with several freezerfuls of beef, lamb, pork and chicken, I'll be using homegrown stuff.

Hope you manage to find a good one.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 09:57:34 pm »
One goose is quite a lot for two people, they are big birds.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 03:31:35 am »
Goose is a big bird but there is sooo much fat on them that you don't get as much meat as you would think.
We had goose for christmas last year and there were just two of us. By the time you have your boxing day sandwiches or cold meat and chutney, which of course you will have made yourself ;D, you won't have too much left.  You can then make soup with the carcas.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:41:23 am »
Christmas is all about excess isn't it?  Last year I made far too much and not a single bit went to waste.  My freezer got lots of extra stocks and the leftovers were fab.  In fact, the leftovers are the best bit about Christmas, nothing better than sitting in front of the fire looking over the frozen snowy golf course with a turkey, cranberry, gravy, stuffing sandwich - now that is my idea of heaven.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:44:18 am »
In fact, the leftovers are the best bit about Christmas, nothing better than sitting in front of the fire looking over the frozen snowy golf course with a turkey, cranberry, gravy, stuffing sandwich - now that is my idea of heaven.

Delicious. :yum:  Roll on Boxing Day!

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 09:40:07 am »
If you cant get free range, keep an eye on Aldi or Lidl... both had goose last year and about 14 quid it was tasty as well... thank you Aldi
But if you want something thats a let more free range and much less fatty.... ask a wildfowler if they have a spare they can give you (cant sell wild geese, but can give away).  They are in season now and the Pinks are moving over for the winter.

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 10:43:03 am »
The other thing is the fat will last for about 6 months in the fridge asnd give you the best tasting roast tatties...
and from an average shop bird you get about £10's worth of fat :-)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS