Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Portacabin  (Read 8071 times)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Portacabin
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:46:43 pm »
We have been offered a small portacabin at a reasonable price. We thought it might do as a bedroom for a not so small lad. Any one tried this?

It will obviously need to be insulated and heated.

Any ideas on the cheapest and more efficient way of doing it would be welcome.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
Re: Portacabin
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 09:42:20 pm »
Can you get it moved to your place by someone who knows about such things ?
Do you have a sound base to place it such as concrete and put it raised up on a spread of 20 or so concrete blocks or the special metal stands to get air flow under it ?

I've seen several big and small ones crushed at the top of the walls & roof edges when the crane used to lift them  did not have a decent sized spreader bar set on the chains to keep pressure off the sides & roof edges .
 I've also seen a " forklift " on a teleporter get shoved right thorough the wall .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 08:35:03 am »
I worked for several years in a portacabin, although as they called it a 'modular office block'. 
It was probably posher than the type of thing that you have in mind but ours was insulated and heated and to be honest once you were inside you really couldn't tell you were in a portacabin at all.

I would think that if you can get it moved easily enough and the cost of the cabin and the insulation and heating ins't prohibitive then I would go for it.  I am sure the lad would appreciate his own space.

Sally

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 11:14:28 am »
Also dont forget planning , they do need it I believe. Best check

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 12:18:59 pm »
if it is a jack leg port akabin they are easy to move and set up and the hiab opp erator would need to be brain dead to damage one  also the other type without legs is also easy to move with a hiab lorry
with proper equipment there should be no damage it is only when you improvise and make do that results in damage happening :farmer:

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 06:06:36 pm »
Given the space we need to go it into, I think improvising will be the order of the day  :-[

Planning shouldn't be an issue as it will be within the curtailage of the house.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 01:20:20 am »
if it is a jack leg port akabin they are easy to move and set up and the hiab opp erator would need to be brain dead to damage one  also the other type without legs is also easy to move with a hiab lorry
with proper equipment there should be no damage it is only when you improvise and make do that results in damage happening :farmer:

Rob it was exactly what you say .. not  having the right equipment and despite being told they were used to moving portacabins in and out of places .....the damage they inflicted told me otherwise.

I ended up making two new full length box trusses to replace the damaged ones , if it had been my cabins I'd have created hell.

Your comment about brain dead operators .. sums it up nicely  but you forgot to include Roy Rodgers and the Lone Ranger set ups as well.

International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 08:08:39 pm »
Its here, and safely off the trailer. We got it off by jacking up a corner at a time and dropping the legs a little more and then driving the trailer out from underneath. Then using the loader on the tractor to take the strain we gradually lowered the legs down bit by bit till it was down at a reasonable level.

Just need to shuffle it to its final position.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS