Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cats  (Read 1870 times)

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
Cats
« on: October 23, 2011, 06:11:11 pm »
Here's an odd one for you all.
We have two yard cats that live in an area where we intend to have a couple of outdoor lambing pens next spring.
Brian and Basil ( !!! ) who regularly catch and bring in decent sized rabbits as well as the more regular stuff.
It will be impossible to keep them out of the yard during lambing. Does anyone know if they are likely to be a problem with newborn lambs?
Look forward to some interesting replies!!

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Cats
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 06:50:24 pm »
I think the ewes will look after the lambs- ours certainly challenged a dog last year, even though she was the other side of a fence.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 07:00:58 pm »
I don't have sheep, just goats ...
but never had a problem with our rodent-murderers at birthings - even though one of them regularly sleeps in their shed (waiting for rats, or just keeping warm?!)

The smell of blood might interest them ... but I would think the size of lamb & more importantly, mum-sheep would prevent them doing any damage
Little Blue

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 08:14:26 pm »
The cats would probably be interested in afterbirths but I don't think the lambs would be bothered by them. Another consideration though is that cats can carry toxoplasmosis which can cause abortions, stillbirths or weak lambs. It is unlikely to be a problem with adult healthy cats, as it is more likely to be spread by kittens. Also if the pens are only used at or immediately after lambing there is obviously no risk of these problems.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS