Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Discussion? Table birds, best breed/ cross.  (Read 11309 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Discussion? Table birds, best breed/ cross.
« on: October 23, 2011, 05:24:09 pm »
I am moving more and more towards table chickens inste :chook:ad of just fattening surplus cockerels. I regularly rear Cornish game(cockerel) and Light Sussex hens for a classic utility bird. i.e. a good sized table bird and a reliable laying pullet but have now a Light Sussex cockerel to put to C.G. hens to see if that makes a difference.
I have also been looking at other breeds including commercial ones  and other pure breeds, Jersey Giant, Faverolle, La Fleche etc.
Has anyone any input and experience in table bird breeds? :chook:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Discussion? Table birds, best breed/ cross.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 07:22:45 pm »
Not a lot of wide experience - we've raised Hubbards from day olds a number of times. I like them better now - didn't at first. I make sure they have lots of access to outside and green grass and "cut" their pellets with corn from about 6-8 weeks. We kill at 12-14 weeks - smallest last time was 5lb dressed weight up to about 7lb. We had one for our CHristmas dinner last year.

We had one for dinner tonight - 6 1/2 lbs (must have been a cockerel  :)) - delicious. We'll be having it cold tomorrow night and as curry on Tuesday plus a big pot of soup and bits for the dogs and cats. Thirteen meals plus soup - and even tastes like chicken in curry  ;D

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 07:49:17 pm »
share rosemary's comments in total.  we've left ours a bit late this time and they are really big birds, might even have to get ourselves a bigger freezer!  eek!  6 of them just dispatched yesterday tho not weighed them yet....will advise

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 08:29:59 pm »
we left ours a bit too long too (it was our first batch and first culling) :-\
deffo go earlier as the 3 we got (the fox got the other 8) weighed in at 9-10lb dressed weight!!!!!
Mx :yum:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 05:33:30 pm »
But do you get the flavour and texture from commercial birds? The C.G. X seem to give a bird that, though slow to grow gives a bird that is darker in flesh, firmer in texture and more "gamey" tasting than a "supermarket" type bird. I kill mine at 15-24 weeks or even older.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 07:10:57 pm »
The Hubbard is pretty firm and very tasty - not gamey, but chickeny  :yum: The leg meat is dark. I suppose rearing them outside with room to do chicken things impacts on taste and texture.

Cold chicken tonight - very tasty. Curry tomorrow night  :yum:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 08:20:17 pm »
i think flavour and texture come more with age, some commercial meat birds are ready in 6 wks :o my most 'supermarket' type so far was a young light sussex. my tastiest was a yr old rir.
im doing the same as sylvia, changing my flock over the winter to produce meat rather than eggs. im also going to put my ls cockerel to my cornish game ladies to see what happens. tho the research ive done so far points to a cg cockerel with ls hens.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 09:35:05 pm »
For meat to bone ratio and feed conversion rates, you can't beat a Ross Cobb. Given ad lib feed they will grow like stink and be ready for killing at ten weeks.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 12:51:32 am »
I worked with organic Ross Cobbs in Wales.  They are surprisingly nice birds to be around - very placid and really rather sweet.  They were fed grower pellets ad lib and had a large grassy paddock, and were sent off at 14 weeks.  They were big birds and tasted good - proper chicken.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 07:55:58 am »
I can see I'll have to get a few of each and compare. I'm about to dispatch some 28 week old Maran and R.I.R cockerels.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 08:49:17 am »
I had the hubbards this year and they were very tasty.  However, I didn't find them a joy to keep and I wonder if thats maybe a good thing when you're going to be eating them as I actually cried this week when a Jersey Giant cock got killed.  The Giants are beautiful and very friendly and whilst I was intending on eating some, I do now wonder if I'll be able to bring myself to do it.  Sorry not much help here  :-\

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 11:21:17 am »
I didn't enjoy keeping Hubbards the first few times - I think the killing was always in teh back of my mind and maybe it was a defence mechanism?

Now we've got better at killing and cleaning, I do enjoy them. They are rather comical in a clumsy sort of way  :chook:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 03:57:03 pm »
I think you would have to treat them especially well if they have such a short life. Lots of treats and comforts etc. I am going for a dozen each of Hubbard, Ross Cobb and maybe Sasso as well as my usual crosses. I have also been offered surplus Brahma cockerels, so will see.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 07:07:13 pm »
Great stuff, Sylvia.  I shall be very interested to hear your experiences and thoughts of keeping them and eating them all.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 07:48:57 pm »
I'll look forward to the final report on your experiment  :chook: :chook:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS