Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly Pig  (Read 2557 times)

Zara

• Joined May 2011
Poorly Pig
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:48:28 am »
Hi
I recently moved my pigs to a new field. It coincided with the frosty weather and the field is less protected than where they were previously although they do have their arc and lots of straw. One of them became poorly, he is off his food although does eat a bit, he is drinking and peeing and is sleeping more than normal. I don't think he has a temperature. My farmer neighbour thinks he may not be dealing well with the cold and has become chilled?

Any ideas? suggestions?

Thanks

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Poorly Pig
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 11:23:30 am »
How old are the pigs Zara?  How long has he been like this?

Let us know what his temperature is.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 11:28:12 am »
If they've plenty of straw in the arc (providing it's not damp straw) I wouldn't have thought it would be a chill - ours coped with -20 last year without any problem - they're pretty hardy  ;) But you don't say what age or breed so it could be a young, not too hairy breed which might be more susceptible to the cold ?
Temperature being raised suggests an infection of some sort - are any of the others showing signs ? Do they have good ventilation in their arc ? It could be pneumonia, so some antibiotics would be in order.
Does the new field border any sheep has the land been used for sheep ? It could be clostridium, but it also might not be  ???
If one of mine goes off food and has a temperature I tend to err on the side of caution and (after talking to the vet) I usually give penicillin or other anti-biotic. I don't mean to be rude about your neighbour - but unless he's kept pigs before he could be talking rubbish (from experience here  ;) My dad's a beef farmer - but knows diddly squat about pigs  :D)
There are lots of things it could be but I'd suggest giving your vet a phone (they don't usually charge for advice on the phone) and talk it through with them..........just to be on the safe side. (but bear in mind the withdrawal times for medications and slaughter)
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 12:10:03 pm »
Check his temperature. If it's normal, and he's eating & drinking, and not scouring or with a lot of nasal discharge, I'd just keep an eye on him. If he's no better in a day or 2, or stops drinking, or has an abnormal temperature, I'd call the vet. Pigs do get colds, just like people: it may well just be that!

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 01:00:14 pm »
Check his temperature. If it's normal, and he's eating & drinking, and not scouring or with a lot of nasal discharge, I'd just keep an eye on him. If he's no better in a day or 2, or stops drinking, or has an abnormal temperature, I'd call the vet. Pigs do get colds, just like people: it may well just be that!
Pigs can become sterile from colds......and colds can also cause abortions...... if you have a cold just be weary about visiting your pigs,as you can pass it on to them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS