Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sanaan goat female free to good home near Newton Abbot, Devon  (Read 4628 times)

Owen K

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Moretonhampstead, Devon
Sanaan goat female free to good home near Newton Abbot, Devon
« on: October 23, 2011, 07:40:05 am »
Hello, we are looking for a home for a three year old Sanaan goat female, Kitty. She has never been in milk but Sanaan goats are known as fantastic milkers.

She's been with us for nine months now. Her previous home was regularly scrapie tested and she has not had any other contact with livestock since moving here. She would need to be collected as we don't have a livestock trailer.

We have two other goats who are milkers and unfortunately we just don't need a third milking goat.

She needs a home with access to hard ground as she had poor feet when she came to us and we have been unable to make them better as our ground is very soft, She is otherwise healthy and has a lovely nature.

Please email if you're interested, thank you.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Sanaan goat female free to good home near Newton Abbot, Devon
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 07:59:03 am »
Unfortunately she lost her scrapie status when you took her on... it doesn't matter that she has not had contact with others.  On that basis I can't take her on.

Is she CAE neg ?

What iss actually wrong with her feet ?

Is she registered ?

Depending on the above answers,  I may know somebody looking for a goat.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 04:48:54 pm »
H :) :)ello, I'm in the Newton Abbot area. Would she be happy to live with sheep for the while? I can offer her a home with shelter but only Shetland Sheep company for the time being. She would have whatever else a goat could want and I am an experienced goat- keeper (not had any for a fair few years though!) and I would find her a goat companion as soon as ever I could. :)

Owen K

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 07:57:11 am »
Hi, thank you for your replies.

Kitty is registered with DEFRA and we have a flock number etc. She is not registered as a Sanaan with the British Goat Society, although she does have all the characteristics of a British Sanaan. Our goats were CAE and scapie tested at their last home but have not been tested here. As I said they have had no contact whatsoever with any other livestock apart from our chickens.

Her feet have been challenging - her  hooves were curled over completely when we were given her and we have been working on them regularly to try to straighten them out. It looks to us as though her hooves are permanently twisted, she has been walking on the backs of her feet for so long. We took her on thinking we would be able to improve her quality of life, and although she can be outdoors now (she was mostly in a shed before) I am concerned that to have a chance of recovering any shape on her feet at all she needs a harder surface to walk on, and we can't give her that here.

She does however walk ok, especially when there's food involved!, and has walked some distances since we took her on.

Our other two goats bully her somewhat as she has a quiet and retiring nature, Sylvia if you are still interested after reading the above I am sure she would love to live with some sheep. We can now arrange transport if necessary as we have had the offer of a lend of a livestock trailer. 

- Owen

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 10:27:04 am »
Our land is limestone, so probably well hard enough for your goat.

Such a shame you are so far away, or she could come and ;live with our goats.

My brother is on holiday in Devon next week, but he is not in the least bit interested in animals, and certainly would not bring a goat back.

Fingers crossed Sylvia can have her.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 03:10:10 pm »
I only have grassland for her at the moment, would it help if I kept her feet trimmed regularly?

Owen K

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 06:50:20 am »
Hello there Sylvia
We think grassland would be fine if you can keep on top of her feet. We're on woodland soil which is very soft in the winter. The other two had better feet to start with and climb on rocks here, but Kitty just won't!

If you are up for giving Kitty a home that would be absolutely wonderful. Her walking is fine and she's very friendly (she loves a scratch), she's also the quietest goat we have ever met. Bit concerned though that this she has the potential for being some extra work for you at first while she gets settled. 

As I said we can now deliver her to you... contact number 07952 935235.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 08:22:25 am »
Owen, I have p.m.ed you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS