Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Expensive wellies are leaking  (Read 8484 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Expensive wellies are leaking
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:33:36 pm »
Last month I was in the animal feed store, and saw a pair of neoprene lined wellies.  Cos I have cold feet, thought they would be nice for winter.  At £60 thought they would last the winter at least.  Then the heatwave came, so did not wear them until about three weeks ago.  At the end of the first week, lining at the back started to come away, rubbing my heel, then the other boot did the same.  Last week I thought my feet were sweating in the cosy lining - upon checking , there was a slit down the outside of the boot, again at the heel.

I am fuming.  I could have bought 5 pairs of normal wellies and worn thick socks, for that money.  I have hunted for the receipt, but it would have been a horse and goat feed one, so not likely I would keep it.  I note the manufacturer says take faulty goods back to shop where bought .....but without the receipt they may not do anything.  I am still going to ring the maker and say how disappointed in their boots I am.

Becasue my foot was soaking wet, had to go and get a pair of wellies from the agricultural shop this morning.  Told them about the wellies, and they said they were not impressed with this make at all ....which makes me think they have had farmers back moaning about their wellies!!

I do not mind paying for quality - so long as it is quality and lasts!!

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Expensive wellies are leaking
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 02:38:08 pm »
What a pain. >:(  I'm sure they can see how little they've been worn and should replace them.   I just bought myself a new pair and know how p***ed off I would have been if they were faulty.  Good luck with getting replacements.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 02:51:30 pm »
You need to provide proof of purchase to get a refund/replacement, but it does not need to be the original receipt; the trouble is, if you bought it with other stuff the bank statement will just be for the overall amount. However it's still worth a try esp if you are a good customer and maybe accept a credit voucher rather than cash.

I went through a ridiculous number of pairs of Hunters which split all the time, until I bit the bullet and got Le Chameau neoprene lined one for Xmas last year. They have been brilliant.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 02:54:40 pm »
name and shame then contact the manufacturers :farmer:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 07:23:14 pm »
what a pain.
I've got a lovely pair of Dunlop toe-tecter wellies... and a puncture repair kit for where I cut them!! just waiting for them to dry before I try it :D
Little Blue

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 07:26:04 pm »
I went through a ridiculous number of pairs of Hunters which split all the time, until I bit the bullet and got Le Chameau neoprene lined one for Xmas last year. They have been brilliant.

Ditto for me too.  Hunters are terrible quality but I love my Le Chameau wellies.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 11:30:37 pm »

Ditto for me too.  Hunters are terrible quality but I love my Le Chameau wellies.

Yup, another vote for Le Chameau. 

You need to provide proof of purchase to get a refund/replacement, but it does not need to be the original receipt; the trouble is, if you bought it with other stuff the bank statement will just be for the overall amount. However it's still worth a try esp if you are a good customer and maybe accept a credit voucher rather than cash.

They can of course insist on proof of purchase, but if Roxy is a good customer whom they trust there's no reason they can't exchange them - if they feel like it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 07:27:07 am »
The quality does have something to do with where they are manufactured. I refuse to buy Wellies that are made in China, as are most of them now, sadly. You can't believe how difficult some companies are when it comes to providing that information! Like it is a state secret! I did start a post some time earlier this year or last , I think it was called  "which wellies" and I had found a website only selling European made Wellies. That's where I will go once my rubbish Joules have completely dissolved. I'd won them, though, won't complain too hard but they are not cheap either and I would be so cross had I bought them!
Roxy, I hope you will find the receipt and get your money back. Do make a fuzz either way with the manufacturers, they have to know that customers are not happy! :&>

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 07:45:54 am »
name and shame then contact the manufacturers :farmer:

Agree! Theres no libel offence if one is stating true facts, rather than a subjective opionion! And esp describing your own experience. Boots shouldnt leak for a reasonable lifetime; for them to do so means they were not fit for purchase at manufacture.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 05:46:46 pm »
Hi Roxy a bugger, I splashed out last week and bought two pairs at the liverstock market for under £25 cheep and cheerful I would personally never buy expensive wellies cant see how much different they would be in the barbed wire rip scenario. I go through 2 to 3 pair in a year and I recon I,m hard on them. I have no hairs on my legs where the tops of the wellies rub and its been that way for years.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:50:31 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 11:21:22 pm »
I got these because they were lined, and would keep my feet cosy ....I thought. 

I have spoken with the manufacturer, who was very apologetic, and said take them back to the shop.
My OH has bought some machinery from him this week, and we are going over tomorrow to collect it, so will take the wellies and plonk them down in front of him ....before we pay for his stuff of course :)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 12:23:40 am »
fingers crossed he will just come up with the money - receipt or not! :&>

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 02:43:34 am »
Oh Dear, If they were Hunters then nothing has changed in 30 years. When I started my first job on the farm in 1980, my father bought me a new pair of wellies as a treat, he opted for a quality pair of Hunter's, bless him.

I can tell you now, they did exactly what yours have done within the month thirty years ago, the rubber is so thin, that's why its so soft. Some one mentioned barbed wire, that will slice through and slice your foot if your wearing Hunters. I remember it clearly as I was ribbed on the farm; Oh Are look at e in is new wellies, they wont last the winter blaa blaaa blaa. Ive never bought expensive wellies since.

How can a company continue to sell an obviously crap product for so many years? Answer people who like to look good buy them but never work in them and of course they stay comfy and last for years. Then someone like you and me come along and think! Oh quality that will last when your working great; cobblers! Hunters should only be worn with an evening dress at the hunt ball I fear  ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 02:49:31 am by Cobra »

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 10:26:23 am »
Definitely Le Chameau.  I've had mine for 5 years, wear them all year round, on farm and on shoots, beats etc. 

I'd also write to the manufacturer.  That way they have a letter they really have to answer.  Once you put the phone down, they've forgotten you already.  Though you might strike it lucky at the shop when you take the wellies back.

Back sometime in the early 90s, we had a bmw which was a company car, that we inherited when hubby left that job.  So we had no receipt when around 6 years later, the computerised control box went kaput, and was going to cost £500+Vat to replace plus fitting.  I wrote directly to the HO in Germany, and by return got a cheque for around £600 and  an apology.  The part was meant to last a lifetime.  Nice one bmw.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 01:29:52 pm »
Back sometime in the early 90s, we had a bmw which was a company car, that we inherited when hubby left that job.  So we had no receipt when around 6 years later, the computerised control box went kaput, and was going to cost £500+Vat to replace plus fitting.  I wrote directly to the HO in Germany, and by return got a cheque for around £600 and  an apology.  The part was meant to last a lifetime.  Nice one bmw.

You just reminded me of one of my favourite stories. So's not to hijack the wellies thread with car stories, I've posted it here:
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=19172.msg179433#msg179433
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS