Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spinning..the right way!  (Read 4492 times)

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
Spinning..the right way!
« on: October 21, 2011, 09:47:25 am »
Help is there a special trick Im missing keeping the wheel going in the same direction...or is it just practice. I am only a beginer at the moment using raw wool carded into rolags. I plan to wash the next lot before carding (In an old pilowcase) Will this wool be easier or harder to use?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Spinning..the right way!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 10:11:29 am »
Be very careful washing wool in a pillow case as certain fleece is more prone to felting.

I haven't spun for a long time but as I remember it is just practice to get it running smoothly, I was taught to sew on an old treddle singer so pretty much knew the action to keep a fluid movement going. But again learn to sew on a treddle was just practice to keep it going forward.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 05:17:39 pm »
If you have a double treadle wheel, setting off is a bit easier as if it goes the wrong way with one foot then you use the other.
With a single treadle, when you stop, get the wheel just past 'top dead centre' and it will automatically go in the right direction.  TDC is where the two cranks are level at the back (I will have to go and check that on a single treadle wheel once the hens are in bed), but you can feel it as where the wheel is balanced ready to go in either direction.  Like ellisr I learned to sew with a treadle machine but if you haven't then you need to practice.  Try practicing without spinning for a while, just to get the feel of it.  It won't be perfect for a while, but flicking the spokes isn't forbidden  :)

If you are using unwashed fleece to spin it helps to do it in the sunshine or in front of a roaring fire, as the heat will help the fibres to run more smoothly.    I find it easier to use washed and lightly oiled fleece to spin (baby oil on your hands is enough).  I agree with ellisr too about not washing your fleece in a pillow case.  Some fleece is less likely to felt than others but you are best to wash very carefully by hand, small amounts at a time, no agitation, warm water, minimal soap
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 10:03:27 pm »
Thanks for the washing tips...I thought treadle(single) was just practice...When I have no wool it rotates in one direction well but as soon as I have somthing else to do I hit snags...it is getting better though!  AS to sitting in the sunshine/ roaring fire, It will have to be the fire as the sun although making the garden look very beautiful at the moment...the frost counteracts the heat!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 11:21:19 pm »
Yes, spinning in the hot sunshine is something to dream of in the winter  :)  Even in the summer it's often too windy to spin outside.

You will definitely get there with practice, getting your hands and feet co-ordinated.  It's a bit like learning to walk and it suddenly becomes obvious.

Keep us updated with your progress.

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:26:17 am »
Sometimes it helps to add a little weight to your wheel, this can be as easy as a lump of blu tak, place it on the wheel rim, it keeps the wheel turning if it is places just to the right of the footman, when the wheel is at its apex.

I always have a metal weight set into my wheel rims. Double tredles are easier of course, but sometimes just sitting tredling without spinning helps. Like when you are on the phone!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 05:56:53 pm »
yes practice is the key.  Does everyone oil the wheel often - mine seems to need it but then I spin with unwashed fleece which is probably dustier - I never wash the fleece first - just card it into rolags and spin it.  I wash it once it is plied and then turn it into balls - forgotten the name of the impliment I use - is it a niddy noddy?  Hope the altzimers doesn't stop me remembering how to spin and knit. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 07:12:06 pm »
 I do wash my fleece before I spin and I also oil my wheel frequently - usually before each use, but a min of every third day (unless it's sitting in the corner not being used  :(.  It does make a huge difference to how easily the whole thing works, doesn't it.  I also oil hinges, door locks and basically anything else that moves in the house or car - I love oil  ::) 8)  Igor would hate me  :D

The niddy-noddy is the thing you make skeins on, from the spindle or bobbin, then you use a ball winder to make the balls.  Once you get going quickly with the niddy-noddy you realise why it's called that. Great name  ;D

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 01:58:53 pm »
Enjoying this thread - I'm also new to wheel spinning this year (been using a drop spindle for a few years) and finding when I concentrate on the draft, the foot action goes to pot and visa versa!  Getting better and loving it.  What oil do you use for moving parts and also for the wheel itself - Ive got an old ashford single and am worried that it will dry out in our front room (no central heating so massive temp variations (wood burner on or off!!).

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 03:24:19 pm »
Hi - I use 3 in 1 sewing machine oil.  Had no  problems with it.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 04:43:46 pm »
Hi FiB
You really do need to oil your wheel every few days, especially if it is kept in a centrally heated room.  You will find it makes a huge difference to how well you can spin  :D
Are you finding that you use a different drafting technique for the wheel compared with a spindle?  I seem to use opposite hands  ??? totally confusing  ::)  I have many more spindles than I can possibly ever use (mostly top whorl and turkish) but they are so collectible :D.  I have 3 wheels too.....there must be something wrong with me  ;D ;D ;D

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 01:15:51 pm »
Fleecewide - what I wouldn't give for a day in your home with those wheels!
I've got the hang of spinning now, and I know everyone else has said it - practice is the key!  I was SO uncoordinated to begin with it was hilarious, but now I've got it, I can just about treadle with either foot (single treadle wheel) so if one leg gets tired I can have a break :D
Need to oil my wheel today, it hasn't been used for a week or so but will be run for a while tonight...if only Downton were still on!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS