Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Courses? And hello  (Read 3071 times)

Mary B

• Joined Mar 2009
Courses? And hello
« on: March 05, 2009, 11:08:30 pm »
Hello everyone

Does anyone know of any courses aimed at smallholders in Wales/S W England?  I'm teetering on the brink, but feel I'd like to learn more before I really get going - so far we have chickens/some veggies/a bit of experience with pigs/plenty with horses (although some time ago).  I'd like to know more about sheep and alpacas and producing our own hay for a start.  Anyone got any ideas/advice?

Thanks.

HappyHippy

Re: Courses? And hello
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:29:58 am »
Hello & welcome to the forum from Scotland  ;D

I don't know of any courses but found this-
http://www.visitmidwales.co.uk/events/thedms.aspx?dms=13&feature=1&venue=1022901&easi=true
It sounds like the ideal place for a day out & lots of info - wish I was a bit closer !

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 06:59:12 pm »
try your local agricultural colleges, By total guessing with the direction your saying your on or near the border of wales/england, some places for you to try but could totally be in the wrong direction

home lacy in herefordshire http://www.hct.ac.uk/College/hl_campus.html

Coleg Gwent http://www.coleggwent.ac.uk/  look for the usk campus(my old college) this is mainly land based subject

or you could phone them up and ask for help and they should beable to help you out

another place to look is your loal library as they might be able to help you out.

Hope this helps
Linz

edit also like happyhippy said the ROYAL WELSH SMALLHOLDER & GARDEN FESTIVAL is a real good place to get advise and information from the last time i was there, lots of people from all over the UK where there including down from the orkneys and Sheltand isle. Well worth a visit and campping on site also availble
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:05:51 pm by Fluffywelshsheep »

Mary B

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 08:21:12 pm »
Thanks both - that's really helpful.  Lots of exploring to do.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 10:31:56 pm »
Hello,
 My experience of Alpacas is that they are very expensive and die all too readily despite regular dosing and vitamins. If you're looking at them for the wool I'd recommend merino sheep or angora goats instead. Having said that they are very nice animals to have around.

Cheers

Gavin

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 01:43:40 pm »
Hi Mary and welcome.

I don't knwo how true thsi is but I was told that alpacas are a good way of getting planning permission - being very high value stock, you have a strong argument for living on site.

This may, of course, be an urban myth.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 09:24:00 am »
Hello and welcome.  Our local Mayor keeps llamas.  Unfortunately he is right next to the river and we often see them paddling in the lower part of their field.  Odd I had never imagined they would like water.

claireS

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 02:57:39 pm »
Hello Where are u  - I am also in the SW, Forest of Dean and am getting a couple of orphan lambs soon after starting with chickens last year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS