Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I need a Shetland Sheep expert  (Read 4065 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
I need a Shetland Sheep expert
« on: October 18, 2011, 08:44:13 am »
This is the first year I've kept Shetlands and was told that the ewes would not come into season until late Autumn but mine have been kept with a Ouessant ram until the end of September and one is looking as though she is heavily in lamb. She is, of course, the only one of my small flock who won't come near me and I don't really want to upset her if she is near to lambing.
If she is, this will mean she was tupped in June/July. Possible do you think? :-\

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: I need a Shetland Sheep expert
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:37:59 am »
I think it would be possible yes, since as I understand it only the REALLY primitive breeds are really guaranteed only to cycle seasonally, the native tough but not quite so primitive ones normally dont cycle other times but can do esp if on better land etc than their native habitat.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:31:16 am »
The little madam! Oh well, I'm sure she'll appreciate having smaller lambs :D So, it may well be that the other four are also in lamb :-\ and the ram who's coming next month will have nothing to do.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 11:49:03 am »
not sure what you would count as relly primitive, ouessant ewes will also produce lambs out of season from time to time
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 12:42:00 pm »
was thinking of Soay types.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 03:55:34 pm »
Ah well, time will tell and if the ram shows no interest I shall know for certain. Looking at" Naughty Jessie" this morning I rather think she is, she looks as though she's carrying panniers and is so hungry she actually came to the bucket. I'll try to get her in the hurdles tomorrow and have a good look.
Thanks for your replies. :) :sheep:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 11:56:04 pm »
I think it would be possible yes, since as I understand it only the REALLY primitive breeds are really guaranteed only to cycle seasonally, the native tough but not quite so primitive ones normally dont cycle other times but can do esp if on better land etc than their native habitat.

We had a few threads on this in the summer (when a few unexpected lambs arrived on some TAS members' holdings!)

This from Corrie Dhu would give the lie to any kind of seasonality with primitives :
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=17342.msg164833#msg164833

and several Portland sheep folks told us the Portland was the original year-round breeder.  One of the unexpected arrivals was a Soay... And of course the Dorset and the Hampshire will lamb in spring or autumn...

So, Sylvia - judging by the summer conversations it sounds as though you'll be lambing from February then!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 08:25:28 am »
Thanks for that link, Sally. Of course, on the lush green grass of South Devon they may well have come into season early.
Never mind, there's always next year! ;D

rbarlo32

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 08:52:43 am »
its rare in shetlands but you do see the odd younger one about. not a good survival trait for a hill sheep. if she lambs i guess you will need to have her in for a few weeks.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 09:19:04 pm »
in my experience, it is rare for shetland ewes and tups kept together to start mating before the end of september but....
if the ouessant ram was in full throttle, then he could have stimulated the ewe into an early season.
the shetland rams i used to use never really got into the mood until the beginning of october.
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS