Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: electric fencing on ebay  (Read 2267 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
electric fencing on ebay
« on: October 18, 2011, 01:04:54 am »
I don't know the best forum for this so maybe Dan could decide?
I needed another electric fence energiser so I thought I'd look to see what they were making on ebay.
I was surprised to see there was a constant 'stream' of them going through, and esp after a picture of one with a corner of the label cut away, I began to wonder if they woud be all 'legal'.
Battery fence units must be one of the easiest ways to earn a quick bit of money, easy to disconnect, they flash at night so easy to find, and once away who can prove anything? (the corner that was missing did make me think of a postcode taken off).
They were making about £80+, (Rutland ESB's) - we ended up buying a new one for just over £100, seemed worth it for peace of mind and warranty.
BUT we've postcoded both new and old units, engraved in big letters and into the engraving a black indelible marker, it seemed to soak in where the surface had been opened up.
Just maybe something to think about if you have an electric fence out at night?

Re: electric fencing on ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 09:13:37 am »
Like with most things - you pays your money and takes your chance.

Some ebay sellers of energisers are extremly good and reputable - some are your "bought it down the pub" type.

Like most things - if unsure pay by paypal or card - then at least you have some protection by way of chargebacks.

Also make sure you have good contact details befory buying - and that someone actually answers the phone!

Regardless of what the blurb on the advert says, you are also covered (in the UK) by the distance selling regulations - which give you (the consumer) a lot of rights.

But as ever, my advice is buy new whenever possible, from a known company, and try to aim for units that are supportable by way of spares or repair.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: electric fencing on ebay
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 03:27:52 pm »
Hi

I suppose my main point was, they are generally battery because they are away from a power source/house, therefore easy pickings for naughty people  >:(, and not easy ebay-sellable if they have a big postcode engraved into them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS