Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Fife Diet  (Read 3656 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
The Fife Diet
« on: March 05, 2009, 11:24:48 am »
Anyone heard of/doing this? Is there similar schemes in your area?

sounds like a great idea in so many ways (though i can't manage without pineapple!)

http://fifediet.wordpress.com/about/

What is this? How do I join?

The Fife Diet asks people to sign-up to eating food from Fife, for a year, monitor their progress and share their experience. This is a celebration of local goodness not an exercise in self-denial. Like most regions Fife has loads of fruit and vegetables, fantastic farm-reared lamb, beef, poultry, and amazing seafood. The project was inspired by Vancouver’s 100 Mile Diet and aims to bring people together who are into preparing for a low-carbon future.

We’ve had whole foods and slow food, fast food and organics.We’ve had road-food, and freeganism, Masterchef and Naked Chefs. We’ve had the F Word and the Atkins, Meals on Wheels and Free School Meals. The difference about the Fife Diet is, it’s not actually about you any more.

We are obsessed by food. We should be, because there is a problem. As Raj Patel points out in his new book ‘Stuffed and Starved’ unless you are a corporate food executive, the food system isn’t working for you. If you are one of the world’s rural poor dependent on agriculture for your livelihood - and roughly half the global population of 6 billion fall into this category - you are likely to be one of the starved. If you are an urban consumer, whether an rich metropolitan or slum-dwelling labourer, you are likely to be one of the stuffed, suffering from obesity or other diet-related ills.The Fife Diet was inspired by people coming together at the Big Tent Festival of Stewardship at Falkland June 16/17th 2007.
The Fife Diet aims to:

* Bring people together to eat good local food
    * Boost the local community of food producers
    * Make fresh organic produce more widely available
    * Help each other re-learn how to eat seasonally
    * Challenge the insanity of food miles.

To join us - whether you can eat all of your food from Fife or not - contact us at: fifediet (at) yahoo.co.uk. You will be sent details of local suppliers and put on our monthly e-newsletter.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: The Fife Diet
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 11:35:01 am »
isn't the owner of the fife diet on this group?

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 11:43:53 am »
isn't the owner of the fife diet on this group?

i've no idea!! i heard about it through LADAS in linlithgow, they gave a talk on monday night - which annoyingly i missed.

I think this is a great idea.

loads of talk about food air miles, the rise of tescos, obesity and diet in scotland, support for farmers, organic/free range food etc.this is a really simple idea that addresses many of those issues.

the only problem i have is i dont live in fife, so i'd ahve to drive miles LOL!!

West Lothian/Falkirk diet anyone?

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 12:46:03 pm »
I can't see a problem with you setting up a group (am out of the area on both count)
as long as you don't claim the idea as originally yours :)

good look if your gona start it up.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 11:04:41 pm »
Thanks for bringing the Fife Diet back into our minds. I raised the issue after this awful and cynical article in the Times (other thread).
I don't know if Mike is on this forum, I don't even know if he grows his own food!
I do find their work very inspiring on so many levels. For me it's about the effort to reduce carbon footprint, to support local producers, to grow your own, and so on. To question the habit of "just getting it from the big 4" and learning what actually is being produced all around us. What lovely stuff it is, too! We might even have the climate in a short while to grow olive trees, lol. :&>

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 06:47:09 pm »
lol, i grow an olive tree in my front garden (it's been in situ for about 3 years) ok it about a foot tall and tucked in a sheltered corner but it's till growing and putting on growth on the branches.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS