Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Twitter Warning....  (Read 1957 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Twitter Warning....
« on: October 15, 2011, 08:13:15 am »
I had my twitter account hacked yesterday and as I know several of my friends here follow my Its Baaath Time twitter account I need to warn you DO NOT OPEN THE LINK IN A DM FROM ME!!!  There is a nasty dm going out saying "I have seen a horrible blog about you. You might want to see this...." and then a link.  I panicked that someone had written a nasty blog about my soap, tried to open the link and my account got hacked.
By 7pm I'd recieved about 200 emails from people who'd tweeted or dm'd me asking what I was on about or saying the couldnt' open the link or warning me I'd been hacked.
Password now changed but Tweet Peeps - please be aware of this its horrible  >:(
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Twitter Warning....
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:19:21 am »
its so horrible when people do that
mx

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:04:26 am »
My Twitter account was hacked a few months ago, so I can sympathise completely.  :bouquet:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 10:30:56 am »
I don't use Twitter at all , and my Facebook acc is only https. the "s" is very important,  (s=secure) can you do this with Twitter?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 09:45:47 pm »
https only means that the data inbetween transmissions is encrypted and is safe from interception - its safer but not safe. - It costs less than £5 to buy a secure connection on your server and requires no formal ID to do so. There is also alot of software that could intercept the keys pressed before even getting to the web.

People using the same password for everything or combinations of are the main way in, for any hacker with an eye on you personally.  Random attacks do happen though - mostly through people having common passwords.  -- Its easier for a hacker to pick a password to work on, then guess usernames to match - than pick a username and guess passwords.

Most services like FB and Twitter block mulitiple username incorrect logins - which is why changing usernames makes more sense.

As Dan may tell you, owning a server himself, several attempts of hackins are apparent every hour on  webserver - when we do get it, its not normally vindictive or personal - its just cos hackers can and will.

Dont use the same password in every site
Make up passwords for every website and use reminders if necessary.
- Your email password has to be the longest and safest thing youve every thought of - as all password reminders for forgotten stuff will be sent to this account.

You only need to remember one password and thats for your email - (or the server if you also run your own email!)

I hate being hacked :( its a right pain in the arse! Hope your customers and followers realise it and it all smooths out.

Baz

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 07:50:32 am »
Thanks Baz  :)  Most of my followers luckily twigged that it wasn't me sending it but a few actually tried to open the link so I received a load of dm's back from them wiht the same message I'd sent out so they'd tried to open it. All seems sorted now and Twitter actually emailed me to say they'd changed my password as they had worked out that I dn't send hundreds of messages daily as a rule.  Just a faff and annoying really! 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS