Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Two dead chickens  (Read 2806 times)

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
Two dead chickens
« on: March 04, 2009, 01:25:25 pm »
Max the Airedale (20 months old) has killed two chickens this morning. I'm still in shock. After walking him for two hours, I came in, made a cup of tea, leaving him to wander in the yard and the fields (as he does a lot of the day normally). When he didn't come to the whistle (unusual) I went to look for him and as my husband returned from golf, heard me whistling two fields away. 'He's in with the chickens' I heard him shout. Two dead. Three hiding but ok.The chickens are in a side garden to the house, surrounded by a Cornish hedge (stone walling with vegetation on top). My husband is now off to buy yet more chicken wire (we'd already done the gate to the chicken area and the one and only spot we thought was vulnerable). Max is (usually) a lovely dog who is training well at classes. Now, I suppose it's just a case of instinctive behaviour but does anyone have any ideas of how we can 'chicken-train' Max as well as securing the chicken area now that he may have the taste for them.  Thanks.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Two dead chickens
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 01:49:16 pm »
When I had the 2 Cocker Spaniels they used to spend hours out the back playing with the 2 pet ducks and rabbits we had. It was funny as they were all best of friends. If we lost a rabbit we would find it in one of the dog baskets sleeping with the dog! Sorry to read about your loss.

James
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 07:25:15 pm by jameslindsay »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 05:25:51 pm »
You need a VERY aggressive Cockerel - anyone got one spare for her?  Put it in an enclosed part of youth garden and take the dog in on the lead.  Let the cockerel have ago at the dog but obviously keep control of the situation.  Watch those spurs!!!!!  My wirehair doesn't touch the chickens now, can't guarantee the Brittanys though, their retrieving skills on 'runners' are legend.  Usually brought back alive but sometimes keel over with shock. 
The one that my wire got had the feathers and membrane peeled right down to over the thigh - after screaming at hubby to 'get that bloody dog out of my chicken yard' ;) I slooshed it out with water to clean it, squirted in half a tube of savlon cream, slapped the feather section back on the hen, wrapped a crepe bandage round her a few times, fixed it on with elastoplast and she lived another three years, albeit with a squint wing!! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cheekychick

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 10:41:40 am »
 :chook:The idea with the cockerel really works. My daughter has two JR's and they chased everything !!. My hubby told her to bring them round and we put them in the orchard with our chickens and our two Roman geese. The chickens ran away (which is part of the problem) but the geese went straight for the two dogs and even though the gate was open one of the dogs came over the hedge to get out. They have never chased chickens again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS