Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pond for ducks  (Read 3273 times)

Callia

• Joined Apr 2009
Pond for ducks
« on: October 13, 2011, 09:38:13 am »
I am seriously considering digging a large pond for my ducks and need some advice please.
I have a paddock which I think would be the ideal position for it and I have a large digger available to use along with somewhere to place the mud taken out. Would I be better to use a really good quality liner or concrete ??
I thought about using the liner and then either placing a wooden or mesh lining around the top 2' of the pond to stop it being damaged by claws, etc. Would sealed concrete be a better option though ??
I've been told that if you can drive down deep enough the pond would fill naturally, is that true ??
How deep should it be ?? I'm thinking deeper is probably better and easier to keep clean ??

As you can probably tell I have no idea so any help would be great  ;) 

robert waddell

Re: Pond for ducks
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 10:12:13 am »
it all depends on where you are in the UK       if you are in Scotland you will have no bother filling it naturally if you are down south  it will be a dust bowl                ducks make an awful mess and that is just the water crap and slime            best to look at somebody Else's pond before you ho diving in there :farmer:

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 10:20:26 am »
Ducks do like to 'dig' in the wet mud around the pond making a readl mess. When mine were younger I had a large bowl sunk into the grass...it is now a good couple of inches proud of the surounding muddy puddle. You need to bear that in mind when making any pond with a solid liner. Are you in an area where you could use a natural 'puddled mud liner'?

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 12:26:50 pm »
I use two halves of a child's sand pit (sand pit and cover) and empty and re-fill daily. It does eight ducks very well :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 01:24:28 pm »
If you are building a pond in a field you'd be better with a small stream going through it - you need an inflow and an outflow for any large pond or it will become stagnant and filthy smelly.  Depending on size and your local authorities views you may also need planning - and I am NOT going to go into that conversation again! ::) ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 02:35:09 pm »
I'm going to have (eventually) a 3foot ish deep 5 foot square  scrape, with a shallower end pointing down hill, lined with a strong liner, so that i can sweep any "cr**) out and down the hill.
 at the moment i'm using a kiddies paddling pool for 4 ducks. it seems to work but its a pain to clean out.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 08:45:08 am »
same here, I use an old sandpit I can just tip over for cleaning. When we got the ducks we decided against 100% freerange and for not letting them into the pond. Not just the mess but also that they eat all the wildlife there is. I just love toads, frogs and nutes...A pond can also make it more difficult to get them into bed at night! :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS