Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WANTED: Registered rare breed sheep  (Read 4649 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
WANTED: Registered rare breed sheep
« on: October 18, 2011, 01:52:49 pm »
Hi all, we were promised some moorits and soays from a rare breeds farm park (won't mention who) after having sold all our unregistered flock of soays, but were let down last week due to things beyond their control.  Presently sheepless, we are looking for soays, castlemilk moorits, borerays etc.  Would like ewe lambs but would consider whatever is on offer.  We're near Lauder (half hour south of Edinburgh).  Wonderful clean and safe paddock by a river and cosy shed, mineral lick, hay bales and a rocky quarry await - oh, and also a life of bliss and never being eaten (quite important I should imagine).  Don't want to travel to St Kilda or anywhere obscure please, so the nearer the better.  thanks for reading. :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: WANTED: Registered rare breed sheep
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 04:36:29 pm »
Sorry you have been let down goosepimple.  I have nothing left to sell - primitives are flying off the shelves this year but I hope someone has some for you  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

BrookfieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Welshpool- Shropshire/ Powys
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 04:43:49 pm »
Hi Fleecewife,

As you may have seen we currently have some Moorits for sale. We have four ewe lambs and two shearlings for sale at the moment. They are all registered and from fantastic rare line 1 bloodlines. We are based on the Shropshire border (so quite a trek) but may be able to meet you half way or something. See the thread below for pictures or email for more details.

Elliott

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 04:51:57 pm »
Thanks Fleece and Elliot - yes I did see your ad for moorits and am interested but it is a trek - no offense but could I wait and see if something comes up a bit closer - its all diesel!  Many thanks.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 07:08:42 pm »
Isn't this just the problem with the very rare breeds - everyone is so far apart that exchanging stock is always going to be difficult.  Over the years of keeping rare breeds we have got used to travelling fair distances to source and sell our animals.
Elliot - sorry but I am not in the market to buy stock.  We have had to sell off most of our breeding animals for this winter, and all of our Soays, because of ill health.  I love the Castlemilks and I am looking forward to Sally and Amanda getting theirs.
At least this forum increases the chances of putting buyers and sellers on the same page.  Good luck with selling yours - and Shropshire isn't so very far Amanda  :) :) :wave: :sheep: :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:29:44 am »
Ah ha, Amanda - that explains the cryptic message I got from a certain rare breeds farm park...  :D Have PM'd you.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 12:35:16 pm »
Sally!  Thank you!  Am writing this message double fast as I have to help out at the kids school in 10 mins and just got your message - gave Peter Eccles a call and looks like we are doing a deal!  Brilliant!!!!! Will fill you in later or tomorrow as its a busy day today - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 04:37:30 pm »
Our farm park have come good and my 2 moorit lambs and 2 soay lambs (all ewes) will be collected next week, great.  Thank you Palacerigg!  And thanks Sally, Peter Eccles is advertising his moorits on here shortly, he sounds great and is a great contact to have, he's going to give me a visit anyway so we can chat about our common interest.  What nice people smallholders are!  Thanks everyone. ;D ;D ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 01:37:52 am »
That's great news Amanda  ;D

Ann rang me too, confirming that they don't have wethers (they don't castrate), which I knew.  I did wonder if they'd been able to come good on Paul's agreement with you, so am very glad to hear that you are sorted.

I am in touch with a chap Peter got some of his ewes from - in fact I sent you his contact details too, at that time not knowing that he and Peter knew each other.  Castlemilk Moorits would seem to be a small world - unsurprisingly, I suppose!

I am still awaiting confirmation of some 2010-born wethers; if that doesn't pan out I have located some unregistered (due accidental inbreeding) ewe lambs - so fingers crossed I too will be sorted pretty soon...

Please post pictures and stories when you get them!  (tizaala is refusing to post any more until I get mine.  >:()
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 08:24:52 pm »
Will do thanks Sally, I think we're picking them up next weekend (halloween), can't wait.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS