Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Temporary Wood Store Ideas?  (Read 8670 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Temporary Wood Store Ideas?
« on: March 06, 2012, 11:34:52 am »

Our wee woodstore is currently completely full  (always a good feeling :thumbsup:), but with all the storms just before Christmas, I've now got quite a bit more wood, currently lying by the house under a tarp, ready for splitting.

The trouble is, if I hire in a splitter to do it all, I'll have nowhere dry to stack it, and the pile is likely to be 4mx2mx2m once I'm done. Does anybody have any novel ideas on how I could build a suitable temporary store for it all on the cheap that won't look TOO ugly?

Cheers!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

robert waddell

Re: Temporary Wood Store Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:46:04 am »
if it is lengths just stack i the open the wind will dry them out        if it is logs again stack on there side to allow the wind to dry them how much does it cost you to hire the splitter :farmer:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:06:56 pm »

Would you cover them then Robert?  If so, just the top, or sides as well?

I think a weekend's hire cost me £80 last time for a great big petrol one (came on it's own trailer). Noisy, but will go through just about anything!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 12:13:48 pm »
My OH was down at a friends estate on Sunday past and said he had several stunning piles of logs all made in to sculptural log piles (he knows what he's doing so they will be drying out).  He said they were set out like huge towers - about 3-4m high - he lays long logs in a large ring shape radius style (likes suns rays) then piles smaller logs into the middle of the ring, then builds up the ring beautifully radius style and the shorter logs in the middle are just 'tipped' in, not formally layed so to speak.  The guests who have been staying at his holiday homes keep saying he should just leave them they look so sculptural and beautiful.  So, get creative!  Photos please when you're done!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 01:23:05 pm »
David, talk to Bloomer (Dave).  He told me just to stack my leyland logs alongside the house just avoiding the airbricks.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 03:16:41 pm »
annies house has wide eaves to protect from the worst of the weather and still allow airflow to continue the drying process she also has a lot less than you describe mr womble!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 05:35:44 pm »
Maybe  so, only four 40 foot leylandiis.  Donald built me a wood store out of pallets if that's any help David Womble.  I can see this forum getting confusing  ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 06:03:39 pm »
We are going to waterproof the roof in the garage soon and the logs are going in there on top of a load of pallets...I said to steve he should stack them outside but the last lot we stacked got soaked....We also have a huge stack in the enclosed chicken run I made, its an area with chicken wire and on top plastic sheets so fairly cheap and easy, the air gets to them but the wet no!!!!!!!!  I want to build something with the pallets........I did have a wonderful idea but not going to do it so don;t worry, I thought we could fill supermarket trollies and wheel them into t he garage and out when we need them.... ::)

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 06:49:29 pm »
Womble, if you've access to free or cheap pallets, they'd do a grand job of containing the pile - just leave the front open, you could put anything on for a top and screw down into the heavy corners of the pallets to keep it in place. You can build just about anything from pallets  ;) If you've not got anywhere close and you're passing our place feel free to pop in - I reckon I could spare 3 or 4 for you  :D
I noticed that Northern Tools are doing a 4 tonne log splitter for around £150 but didn't reall all the details, at £80 to hire one it might be worth checking out ?
Karen  :wave:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 07:52:16 pm »

Yup, pallets do look like the way forward, especially to keep the bottom layer of logs off the ground - I just wondered if anybody had some more novel ideas (like making a sculpture for instance - that's just brilliant!).

The reason I hired the splitter last year was that I'd already borrowed a 4 tonne electrical one from a friend, and unfortunately our old beech logs just laughed at it (much as they had laughed at me armed with splitting maul, wood grenades, etc etc). However, the hired in splitter dealt with even the knottiest, hardest timber with absolute ease and safety. It could even go through leg-thickness chunks of leylandii against the grain believe it or not, so I reckon it was the best £80 I've spent in many a year!!

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 08:16:16 pm »
yes womble log spliters are fantastic i have one for sale it works of the tractor hydraulics i also have a hydraulic pump that could be adapted for electric /petrol driven use :farmer:

Sandy

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 08:39:05 pm »
we got loads of them ready...steve would love a log splitter but thats way down on the list of wants!!

Bangbang

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 09:25:29 pm »
Try stacking them to form a dome.
construct like an igloo, diminishing each row, gives good strength to the pile
Use smaller logs / branches as a base row to as the sacrificial row from water.
I call it the sod row.
Mine end up looking like Teepees.
As for splitting I use an axe, OH uses the chainsaw
 :) :)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 10:12:13 pm »
Try stacking them to form a dome.
construct like an igloo, diminishing each row, gives good strength to the pile
Use smaller logs / branches as a base row to as the sacrificial row from water.
I call it the sod row.
Mine end up looking like Teepees.
As for splitting I use an axe, OH uses the chainsaw
 :) :)

What Bangbang said ;D ;D
we stack ours in a circle, and build up the layers, filling in the middle as we go. When it gets tall enough, we 'thatch' it with longer lengths and thin branches.
It might get a bit wet in the bad storms, but we dismantle the pile and bung it in the wood shed when the wood shed is running low (we take out the remaining dry wood from the shed, chuck in the 'new' than lob the dry stuff back on top). It doesn't take long to dry out again if it got wet ;)
I use the splitting axe, Husband uses the chainsaw.
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS