Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep for sale!  (Read 4566 times)

Smashy and gang

• Joined Apr 2011
Sheep for sale!
« on: October 11, 2011, 02:10:54 pm »
We have four sheep to sell - they are this years' lambs and were hand-fed - two look like a suffolk cross and the other two are essentially mule, I think.  We have insufficient grazing for the winter and they are not fat enough yet for slaughter so sadly I think they will have to go.  We are in Oxfordshire - does anyone have any recommendations on where and how to sell them?  Or would anyone here like to buy them?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Sheep for sale!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 03:35:43 pm »
 If you have a nearby livestock market then put them in there on the day they are selling store animals, NOT in the fatstock sale. That way they will be bought by someone to fatten further. You will get as good a price in market as anywhere.
 I personally always stand near my pen of animals before they are sold, or even go in the ring with them, then you can tell prospective buyers about them and they might get a better home from someone who cares where their animals have come from.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 04:49:38 pm »
I personally always stand near my pen of animals before they are sold, or even go in the ring with them, then you can tell prospective buyers about them and they might get a better home from someone who cares where their animals have come from.

It is the norm in these parts to stand with your store lambs and take them into the ring.  Quite a few buyers won't bid on store lambs if they don't know and can't see the vendor.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:29:59 pm »
cirencester market and frome market i would reccamend  look up voyce pullin auctioneers for the cirencester market im looking for a ram for this year so may be going on thursday but it all depends on my OH first.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 01:47:19 pm »
How much are you looking to sell them for? We are in Oxfordshire as well and have a small flock they could potentially join.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 01:48:04 pm »
Oh, just checking - are they girls?

Smashy and gang

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 02:38:39 pm »
Thanks for all your helpful replies.  Makes me realise how much easier it would be if I had a trailer and move them about myself!

plt102 - I did send you a PM re price - don't know if you got it?

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 09:50:07 am »
I did get a reply but we realised we probably have too many at the moment for our land as well as hopefully will be lambing in the Spring as well. I hope you sold them OK. Thanks a lot. P

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 04:41:14 pm »
i lpeeped at pre-loved.
what is a highlander ewe?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 05:22:48 pm »
i dunno, but

there can be only one!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS