Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting crafty  (Read 2099 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Getting crafty
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:56:05 pm »
Reading all thiese posts is tempting me to get back into spinning and weaving but I really don't have the time just now.  Looks like I'll just have to stick to the knitting.  Working on little outfits for my new granddaughter, due in December atm.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Getting crafty
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:30:55 am »
Funnily enough one of the things I find which gets in the way of spinning is the arrival of grandchildren  ::)  There's no point in making them handspun garments as they wouldn't survive the first wash, so all your spare time (what's that  ;D) goes into knitting for them using commercial yarns and there's no time to spin. Goatwoman, the time will come when spinning is right for you again.  I find there's no point spinning when I am rushed, or have a queue of other jobs waiting, as the yarn comes out poorly so I might as well not bother.  I did very little over the summer but have now got back into it - it's a lovely thing to do, but has its own time.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 06:02:08 pm »
I too, have done next to no spinning through the summer, but am just beginning to get back into it now.   At present I'm just spinning up lots of samples of fleece that I dyed way back in May at a workshop using natural dyes.    Very intersting seeing the results and nice to just sit n spin and either ply the large amounts or just wind up the small amounts, label em and stick in my basket  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 11:42:15 pm »
Fleecewife you are so right.  I may well get back into spinning at some point and I love having grandchildren. This will be number 6 and make three of each between two daughters.  What I like about knitting is that I can read/study at the same time.  can't do that with spinning or weaving.

Blinkers, good luck with your spinning.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS