Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sugar beet  (Read 10086 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
sugar beet
« on: October 11, 2011, 03:21:19 am »
I use sugar beet for the ponies over the winter, can the pigs have some or would this make them too fat  :)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: sugar beet
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 06:43:29 am »
No problem with  that, we always give them some soaked along with barley and soya/grass and just a small handfull of linseed lozenges and any cracked eggs. (that they find while rooting about)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:06:10 am by tizaala »

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 08:00:07 am »
against the rules to give them eggs :farmer:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 08:07:32 am »
As if I would..!

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:37:03 am »
that was quick :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 09:30:19 am »
We feed shredded raw sugar beet to our pigs all thro winter as a supplement, its high in sugar & carbhydrate and they burn it of  keeping warm and its a good filler. Toomuch will get them sloshed as it ferments in their tummies, we've done the drunken pig thing when delia got into the clamp and scoffed a load!! : ;D
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 09:42:58 am »
I use sugar beet too. I have found that the sows refuse it once they've farrowed though.

I use about 20% for growers - it helps sweeten the meat. I believe that if you use too much that to 'goes to the belly'.
Theres a good guide that you can link to from this page http://www.britishpigs.org/feeds.htm by Professor Sandra Edwards of Newcastle University has produced a handbook for feeding organic pigs which has recommendations on the use of Silage, Sugar Beet, Potatoes, Brewers Grains etc.
 :wave:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 01:05:15 pm »
I understand in the States they put it in the ice box and cool it down and give it to the pigs in the summer time to help keep them cool :farmer:

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 04:32:06 pm »
Looked at the vitamin ratio on a bag of sugar beet here in France and it was 6% amd at 15euros a sack I didnt think it was advantageous at all.  Anyone else have any thoughts - and what price in UK

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 04:52:05 pm »
I pay about £5 for a 25kg bag of dried shreds which the horse and sheep get. I may start to give the pigs some in the morning for breakfast as well as the rest of the rabble.

Mine get apples in autumn but I do like to vary what they get to stop them getting bored they love to come and rootle around the veg garden when I am clearing it (using electric fence to keep them away from the polytunnel and chickens as they raid the coups for eggs).

My girls come into the stables when the weather gets wet as the paddock gets far too water logged for them to be comfortable (yes they are pampered pigs) so a bit of variety at meal times I think will help through the long winter days indoors.

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 07:17:40 pm »
I use sugar beet too. I have found that the sows refuse it once they've farrowed though.

I use about 20% for growers - it helps sweeten the meat. I believe that if you use too much that to 'goes to the belly'.
Theres a good guide that you can link to from this page http://www.britishpigs.org/feeds.htm by Professor Sandra Edwards of Newcastle University has produced a handbook for feeding organic pigs which has recommendations on the use of Silage, Sugar Beet, Potatoes, Brewers Grains etc.
 :wave:

What a very interesting guide, Violet - thanks.  I see you can use a number of feedstuffs that I was previously told you could not  ;D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 09:51:43 am »
We buy sugar beet in its straight out the ground state (looks like big turnips) one of our neighbours (next farm but one) buys in about 200 tons (10 wagon loads) for his overwintering stock and in return for a few sausages and £20 in an Xmas card i just go and help myself, normally take a couple of feed bags full at a time and shred.
Pigs love it.
Mandy  :pig:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 10:49:36 am »
Mandy, how do you shred it, does it involve special kit ? ???
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 11:26:05 am »
When we bought the farm 7 years ago we inherited a shed full of Junk, amongst the junk was a shredder.

see this one on e-bay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Cast-Iron-Beet-Turnip-Shredder-/140617469189?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item20bd744d05

ours is exactly same.

hth Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 12:14:05 pm »
£250 they are having a giraffe  need to start buying them old turnip pulpers   
BB if you are not doing a lot you can cut them with a spade :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS