Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Humidity help please!  (Read 2158 times)

CrunchyKat

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Gower
Humidity help please!
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:19:44 am »
I am using a Brinsea Octagon 20 incubator, today is day 19. I've added water to the second trough to increase RH but it's still only 57%. The vent is as closed as it gets. How can I get up to 65% and is it worth opening it to add evaporation card or similar which will then cause levels to drop again  ???
Buff Orpingtons, French Copper Black Marans, Light Sussex, Black Rock, husband x 1, children x 6, cats x 2

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
Re: Humidity help please!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 02:41:58 pm »
I have one of these incubators. I use a bit of cotton cloth and sink it into the 2 troughs. It does raise the humidity but I also have to top it up everyday but the last time I open it is the night before hatch day. Please excuse my drawing.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 02:47:33 pm by DJ_Chook »
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

CrunchyKat

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Gower
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 03:50:31 pm »
I have one of these incubators. I use a bit of cotton cloth and sink it into the 2 troughs. It does raise the humidity but I also have to top it up everyday but the last time I open it is the night before hatch day. Please excuse my drawing.

Fab, thank you  :-*
I've done that and humidity is now 66%  ;D
Buff Orpingtons, French Copper Black Marans, Light Sussex, Black Rock, husband x 1, children x 6, cats x 2

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 07:15:54 pm »
I have a different incubator but the principles are the same. Last hatch I didn't do anything to increase the humidity. It was around 50% up until the eggs started to pip then raised a little bit on it's own as moisture was released from the eggs, then shot up to around 70% when the chicks started to break out. Just left it alone and had 18 hatch out of 22. I have an Rcom incy with automatic humidity control but didn't even connect it up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS