Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamivac  (Read 12117 times)

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
Lamivac
« on: October 09, 2011, 10:20:55 pm »
I heard a rumour today that Lamivac is once again licensed for goats.

:goat:

Is this true or is it a bare faced lie  :o

McR

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Lamivac
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 10:40:27 pm »
Not heard that rumour round here!!  Nothing seems to be licensed for goats .....my vet hands me something, then goes through the same thing every time - thats its really for sheep.

I did ask him why nothing can be used on goats, and he said its too costly for manufacturers to test on goats as well as other animals ....

Anyway, so far nothing of mine has suffered ill effects by being given sheep products!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 10:46:59 pm »
Not heard that news- but then we don't use Lambivac, so it could have passed me by.

Beth

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 02:58:35 pm »
Oh honestly it drives me round the bend all this nonsense, what can and can't be used on goats!

I can understand why some folk might want to cut corners. I get the feelnig that there have been quite afew debates on here regarding Lambivac vs Heptavac P

I don't want to start another one but do you know of an upt to date list anywhere that states what IS licensed for use on goats???

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 03:20:20 pm »
There will always be this debate,  .... I have always used Heptovac P for over 35 years,  never had a problem .

It is the only vaccine that can be used to prevent pasteurella as a result of a trauma,   rather than relying upon the goat having sufficient protection.

As far as I am aware nothing is specifically licensed for goats... we have to use stuff on the cascade system.

Give me a ring sometime to catch up Leanna.
Jane ROss

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 03:54:58 pm »
 Is there anything you give to sheep that you can't give to goats? Not being a goat person i am a bit ignorant on this.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 04:47:52 pm »
The simple answer is NO

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 08:58:43 pm »
I've checked the manufacturer's website and NOAH and there is no mention of the licensing of Lambivac for goats. It is however the vaccine recommended by most vets with specific knowledge of goats. It is now widely recognised that goats don't respond well to clostridial vaccines and that by using a product that stimulates immunity against fewer diseases the immune system is directed to respond to those that matter the most in goats. However if a vaccine is used that purports to protect against a wider range of diseases it most be better than not using one at all.

One good thing is when it comes to using these vaccines it is accepted that if they have a 0 day withdrawal period in sheep then a 0 day withdrawal period will apply in goats. Unlike the situation with other medicines where  if they aren't specifically licensed then they will result in a 7day milk withdrawal period and 28 day meat withdrawal.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 09:32:06 pm »
Just curious, why would anyone use Lambivac in preference to Heptavac P Plus? They seem similar except that Heptavac covers more diseases.

Not trying to start a row here, genuinely curious.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 11:12:21 pm »
Just curious, why would anyone use Lambivac in preference to Heptavac P Plus? They seem similar except that Heptavac covers more diseases.

Not trying to start a row here, genuinely curious.

Goats don't respond that well to these clostridial disease vaccines, so it is thought that if you vaccinate against fewer diseases that you get a better immune response to the ones that you have vaccinated for, and therefore better protection. As you rightly Lambivac is similar but Heptavac covers more diseases, so fine in sheep that we know do respond well to these vaccines but not so good in goats.

Also there is no point vaccinating for diseases that are unlikely to be a problem and for our goats the extra diseases that Heptavac has in it, are usually far less of a problem in goats than they are in sheep.

So it would seem that using Lambivac will give better protection against those diseases that matter most. I hope that helps answer your question Rosemary.

I suspect that the thinking on the best vaccine to use has changed over the years as more evidence becomes available.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 08:23:17 am »
Thank you  :)

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 02:19:23 pm »
You're welcome  :wave:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 09:43:10 pm »
There is a single pasteurella vaccine available, and it is usually recommended to give it to goats in between their first two doses of lambivac. i.e. two weeks after first shot of Lambivac. I don't know about how often it needs boostering, as I have not used it so far.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 10:31:56 pm »
We've never really had an issue with Heptavac- used to use the plain Heptavac as opposed to the Heptavac-P version, but plain Heptavac is no longer available.

Personally- my advice to everyone would be make sure you vaccinate with something. It is up to you which you choose, but having seen what can happen to animals that have not been vaccinated, it is far, far better to give them some protection.

Beth

local yokel

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 11:18:00 am »
I'm a bit worried!
I have not vaccinated any goats. The women I bought them off don't vaccinate theirs and when I asked the vet if I should he didn't seem to think it necessary.
Touch wood everything has been fine so far but I have started going to shows which means my goats are coming into contact with others. I'm worried for my goats but also that I will be seen as a pariah!

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS