Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice please?! Unwell drake  (Read 1745 times)

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
Advice please?! Unwell drake
« on: October 26, 2011, 09:23:55 pm »
Hi,

We have two indian runner ducks, the duck is currently sitting very happily on a nest of eggs so I am leaving her there for the time being. However, in the awful wind and rain on Tuesday the gate to the chicken and duck pen blew open and I came home to the drake out on the verge of our very minor road looking lost and sorry for himself.

Since then he waddles along but every so often lies flat down, he is also very noisy. I thought he was getting better but tonight he is very off colour and just lying flat, didn't eat his corn or anything. I got hold of him and have checked his feet, legs and wings and with my limited duck knowledge nothing looks particularly broken or damaged. Does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong, what I could be missing or any advice?

He has hidden himself right into a bush by the burn for the night and I have just left him quiet, however, if he is still not right in the morning I am going to catch him up and put him into the steading in an enclosed large dog crate to restrict his movement and see if that makes any difference. I am just at a bit of a loss and also worried that that will stress him more than anything.

Thanks,

Harriet
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Advice please?! Unwell drake
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 09:37:01 pm »
Is he missing his mate if she is sitting on eggs?  Could you keep him close to her?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Advice please?! Unwell drake
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 07:43:41 am »
Poor old chap :( Maybe he was blown into something and is bruised and sore. A bit of rest and pandering to may sort him out. I hope he recovers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS