Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Concrete prices  (Read 7341 times)

monkeysox

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Colchester, Essex
Concrete prices
« on: October 09, 2011, 12:03:21 pm »
Does anyone have a rough idea how much it would be to concrete a 12x12 area?

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: Concrete prices
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 01:04:16 pm »
12 what? Feet or metres.  Also how thick does the concrete need to be. Is it for stock, your car, or will lorries drive over it?
What you need to work out is the volume, as ready mix is priced on cubic metres.  The last time I bought any it was £108 per cubic metre. This price is a) 2 years old and b) Isle of Lewis prices (i.e no competition).

Get a quote from a company then ring their competitors. If they quote more, say you've been quoted £x can they beat that. Sometimes you'll get a good deal that way.

Other option is to hire a mixer and get your shovel out!
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 01:09:19 pm »
Depends on the thickness, 12x12x4" about £150, 12x12x6"=£210

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 01:27:23 pm »
3 years ago we paid £50+vat per cubic metre. It was the scalpings for the base that cost a fair bit £10 a ton. The blue plastic wasn't free either.

Location Mid Wales.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 07:30:51 pm »
Get your local yellow pages .. and do some checking once you have decided on the requirement of mix & volume in cubic metres .

If it is in feet do it yourself it will be far cheaper and you will have a mixer at the end of the day look at a 6 mixed ballast to one of cement powder by volume mix
( make a 1 foot by one foot wooden box without  a floor and add lifting handles to the box and use it to guage the volumes )

Just for a bit of info ..

Here in South Wales the price for local black crushed and graded 19 mm limestone plus the sand to make  6 TO 1 was £200 plus vat per cubic metre four months ago  .
 I couldn't even buy the materials myself for that let alone have the five cumbic metres of concrete delivered .

Be aware small loads attaract a loading so you'll pay more for 2 cubic mtrs per cubic metre than 16 cubic mtrs per metre.

There are now choices in the bags you can get the cement powder in .
For a few pence more than an ordinary portland cement ( OPC )  in a paper bag with a thin poly liner you can get it in heavy duty polyethene bags  , so getting it under cover ASAP is not so urgent providing the bags are not holed.  It keeps well  I had seventeen of these heavy duty poly bags of OPC stood outside on a pallet and draped with a blue woven tarp for nearly 15 months  .. none of the bags succummed to the Welsh wet stuff .
Had I had that lot in the paper bags stood on a pallet in my garage the lot would have gone off .

If you are using the concrete slab to house stock that pee on it  you may be better off using a sulphate resisting cement powder .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 07:58:39 pm »
Bear in mind you will pay extra for a part load from a Jaeger. Have you thought about access, there is firms out there who will mix it on site and barrow it in for you - if access is poor?

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 11:07:20 pm »
concrete can be such a variable   high cement content low cement content  structural concrete haunching concrete  it can have hardener or an additive to stop it going of to quick fibers added to equal wire mesh being placed within the slab  it all comes down to cost and what you are doing with the slab after
part loads are priced on a full load IE get 3 meters pay for 5 6 or 8 depending on the size of jaeger
it is harder to get loads on the fly as everything is computer controlled
if you are lucky to be near a large construction site it is possible to get loads or part loads that would be dumped if something goes wrong but that would be on a quick dump basis and you have to be ready and prepared for it anytime :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS