Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mud! What can I do for my hens and my sanity?  (Read 4119 times)

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
mud! What can I do for my hens and my sanity?
« on: October 09, 2011, 08:02:11 am »
I have a 2.5m x 2.5m space right outside the hens shed which is open to the elements and has got extremely muddy.  What can I put down to help the poor chooks and their eggs stay clean?  They r already up to their chickeny ankles!
I have looked into rubber chips but they're too expensive right now, any thoughts on what else I can use would really help please.  I've thought of gravel of some kind, and am quite happy to rake it through each day but some advice from you guys in the know would be great.

Zarla
 ???

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: mud! What can I do for my hens and my sanity?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 08:24:33 am »
I used to use bark chippings.  Eventually they get trodden in but you just put some more down.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 08:32:28 am »
Or a solid pallet or two that can be hosed down every evening?

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 08:40:23 am »
Sallyintnorth-Thankyou, I'd thought of that but didnt want it to get too smelly- its an area that gets a lotta poopin!  How can I keep it whiff-free?

Sylvia, pallets not really an option as the shed door wouldn't be accessible.  I'd thought of a layer of gravel with some straw on the top in the really mucky weather.  Gravel to improve the drainage maybe?  So confusing and I don;t have any cash to spend on solutions that don't work...shall I just get em some wellies!??
 :D
Z

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 08:56:34 am »
Sounds like you've got two problems.  Mud and smell.  Bark chipppings will help a lot with the former.  If the mud is only at the surface and there's a good solid layer not far below, gravel may help, but if it's soggy under the top mud then the gravel will just sink through without trace very quickly.  Straw is expensive and will disappear faster still.  I am speaking from experience here!  I tried these materials and found bark chippings worked the best; they're light so don't want to sink under their own weight and give a large enough surface area that the weight of a chicken on top doesn't instantly push them under the surface.  Put down a good thick layer, 2" at least.

As to the smell, I don't know but would a scattering of lime help?  It would certainly counter the acidity but I don't know if that would help with the whiff.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 09:14:53 am »
We have used OSBboard 'tiles' (made to measure by me and my circular saw!) of about a foot square laid all over the run to provide a cheap, easily replaceable but easily cleaned surface that is warm enough for their feet too.  They are scrape-able in summer and there is adequate drainage for most rainly days as the water just drains between the tiles and we scrape up what is still there.  We occasionally hose it too.  Works well for us, but the mud area near the shed is our problem.

I think we will probably lay more OSB tiles under the gravel, and the drainage should still happen OK, shouldn't lose too many stones into the soil. 

We need to go get some board and then the gravel so should all take a couple of days to sort out so hope nobody drowns in the meantime!!
Than kyou for your replies Sally....!

Z
p.s. Don't worry the hens have a dust bath area too but this is a small covered space and always dry.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 11:15:47 am »
Might be easier to put a roof over the top instead of mopping up the water, stop the rain getting on it.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 11:28:18 am »
knightquest-yes, for sure-but money is soooooo tight here right now that I am after the cheapest option available.  Also hubby is not a great DIY-er so it needs to be an option a slightly unfit middle aged aged lady can do alone!! lol!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 01:58:47 pm »
knightquest-yes, for sure-but money is soooooo tight here right now that I am after the cheapest option available.  Also hubby is not a great DIY-er so it needs to be an option a slightly unfit middle aged aged lady can do alone!! lol!

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 03:36:08 pm »
I re-used a paving slab from elsewhere (where we could get away with grass) for the worst bit just my my hen house door around it just gets muddy!

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 07:56:01 pm »
I would have a breathable menbrane with wood chips on top. the membrane stops the chips disappearing into the muck. All materials could be soarced for free if there is a new road being built you could ask for a litle spare piece of membrane and if you see contractors thining trees at the edge of the road they leave big heeps of chipings. I would try this way if it was me.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 09:31:36 pm »
I had that problem too.  Tried all sorts, bark chips, gravel, straw, boards - nothing worked well enough.  Eventually, decided to keep the boards down, remove the sodden straw, level it all off to the height of the boards, lay terram (weed fabric), bought cheapest 20ml gravel and put that on top.  Must admit I was given the weed fabric, but the gravel cost £90 for two tons delivered - area is about 36feet by 18feet.

My son drilled holes in the brick wall that runs the length of the run so the excess water can drain away to the burn alongside, and now I can hose it down, spray with Jeyes when they have gone in for the night and it's OK for them in the morning.  So much easier to walk on too.  Eggs are laid inside in shed anyway so they don't get dirty.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 10:01:20 pm »

I'm sure you can do whatever you put your mind to  :)

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 11:06:37 pm »
My son drilled holes in the brick wall that runs the length of the run so the excess water can drain away to the burn alongside, and now I can hose it down, spray with Jeyes when they have gone in for the night and it's OK for them in the morning. 

Oooo, Annie - chicken poo and Jeyes fluid draining into the burn??  :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS