Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland ram with nose infection  (Read 9220 times)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: Shetland ram with nose infection
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 01:24:48 pm »
Hi.  You can also buy a little 25g tub of stuff from the chemist which is Magnesium Sulphate paste or 'drawing paste'.  It is very cheap but my neighbour swears by it for dogs and horses so I expect it would be ok for sheep too.  The label says it contains dried mag sulp. , Phenol and Glycerol.  I keep it in the first aid box but have not had to use it - yet!

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 06:07:21 pm »
That sounds a lot less messy than the bread version.  Years ago we used to keep boracic lint in the first aid box, as it was very good for drawing out thorns and cleaning anything septic.  I imagine it was impregnated with boracic acid, and I don't know if you can get it any more.  Best of luck with you Shetland, whichever one you use.  Let us know how you get on.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 10:33:39 pm »
How's that tup?

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 11:57:13 am »
It looks like we might never know, I feel really rotten now, I should have made the time to get back sooner. Shetland boys are pretty tough in my experience, so hopefully he'll be o.k.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 01:12:05 pm »
Thanks, I'm going to give it a go and try to keep it on for a while.The antibiotics haven't worked at all :( Same thing here with trying to get stuff done. We've had a break in the cold so have had some extra time to try to beat the winter coming in

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 11:11:24 pm »
Best of luck.  Is he still o.k in himself, ie is he behaving normally and eating etc?

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 01:27:04 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas,been so busy here that haven't got to post till now. I gave up on the antibiotics and have tried the poultice-the second side has finally broke open and I have been cleaning it out.Seems to be a slow process but is going down and less and less each day.He seems well -no going off feed or behaviour changes. I've been using a iodine spray after cleaining it out that seems to dry it better. Hopefully it has stayed local and not gone anywhere internal on him. It formed such a large abcess I was worried he might lose the top layer of skin but it didn't peel off so am hoping we are close to geting it done with. We are having mild weather so far this year only down to -20 a few days so far so that has helped. Merry Christmas to all and all the best to you and yours in the New Year :wave: :wave: from
canada

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS