Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First hens arriving on Sunday - query re worming  (Read 3899 times)

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
First hens arriving on Sunday - query re worming
« on: March 03, 2009, 12:41:13 pm »
My first hens will be joining the family on Sunday (and no, not for dinner!  ;D ).  I'm picking up my Black Rock pullets from the breeder in Kinross-shire and am a one third terrified, one third hyper with excitement, and one third in super-organisational "have I got everything ready"? mode!

I'm concentrating on that last third just now, and with that in mind, just wondered if it would be an idea to worm them upon arrival?  It's something I plan doing twice a year in the spring and in the autumn, but wondered if, because they're coming from a farm environment to their new home, it would be an idea to just worm them now, and to also give them some tonic as a wee boost (can you/should you do both at the same time?  ???  )

minidax

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: First hens arriving on Sunday - query re worming
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 12:46:05 pm »
Will be interested to hear the replies as only had my Black Rock's a few weeks.  Don't be terrified, they are brilliant!!!  I just think they are great and I doubt if I will have 'only 10' for very long!!!! 

As a treat they have a tin of sardines, not each, shared between the ten of them and the dogs have a bit too!!!  (Tip from Rosemary from her course!) ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:29:53 pm »
I wormed my rescue ex batts after they had settled in with the stuff Rosemary recommended - it's a monthly one, and just goes in their food.  very easy (is it Vermex or something lek that?)  when they arrived I gave them a supplement as they were virtually featherless and their combs were very pale. Porridge oats with honey and milk, and sardines too.  Rosemary also mentioned a spice but I've never been able to find that.  Anyway they are very strong healthy birds now, and so friendly. 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wellieboots

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:38:42 pm »
Verm-x is a natural "poultry tonic" that comes in either liquid or pellet form. It technically cannot be classed as a wormer as it hasn't undergone the necessary trials (unlike Fluvenvet which is a classified wormer available from your local friendly agri-store). Verm-x is given once a month for 3 consecutive days and in my experience does help but I have found a worm in poo last year so it isn't infalible (sp?!) but as it is a natural based product it is better if you are looking at the chemical free route.

Worms are likely if your chooks are totally free ranging as they will peck at everything so Verm-x is as good a way as any to naturally help their immune system and keep them (relatively) worm free.

Also think of using a tonic added to their water like Life Guard tonic that you dilute into their drinking water. Other folks swear by garlic cloves in the water etc. so takes yer chioce!

Oh and enjoy the daft buggers!! ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:40:09 pm »
We used to use Flubenvet but now use VermX for both sheep and poultry. I use faecal worm counts for the sheep but don't think they do chooks!

If I see any worms, I will use Flubenvet once as a clearout but so far, so good.

teggy

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 01:19:32 pm »
i v used flubenvet once but went back to verm x and use it every month i soak mine on whole meal bread i no then that the chickens eat it all ... i also put a splash of apple cider vinegar in with water ... someone told me it was good for them ....  enjoy your new chickens...

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 01:32:29 pm »
I have a 2ltr plastic bottle,half filled with water and about 8 crushed garlic cloves sat in it for months. The water absolutely stinks,but the chickens don't mind a few drops in their water each each day. I also add a few drops of cider vinegar too. Haven't had any worms since I bought them a year ago. The pigs get the same treatment too!...... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

chickchris

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 10:59:37 pm »
Many thanks for the tip on garlic water! I have been looking for advice about this as I have used garlic in a natural diet for dogs for the same purpose - I am certainly going to give this a go - Wonderful!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS