Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wytsend!! got my cattle nuts...  (Read 13997 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Wytsend!! got my cattle nuts...
« on: October 07, 2011, 03:59:40 pm »
Finally! I've bought in a sack of dairy nuts. about to start trying to convert my goats onto them gradually. Only thing I'm wondering is if I got the right ones? the price was only 60pence cheaper than goats mix and I'm sure I remember reading that cattle nuts are a fair bit more reasonably priced than commercial goat mix?
thanks Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: Wytsend!! got my cattle nuts...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 04:16:17 pm »
Mine are all on dairy nuts and doing very well on them  :)

I get mine from Central Wool Growers/Mole Valley at around £7.50 for a 25kg bag of 18% protein.

I also make sure they have acces to a salt and copper lick, it's up to them if they want it. Some love it, others wont go near  ::)

McR :wave:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 05:09:48 pm »
They wolfed them down! yay! mixed with their usual feed about 25% new feed 75% old mix but they really like them so thats good. will have a look at mole valley - thank you  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 08:24:19 pm »
I am still struggling to get them, now been told I can only get them by the ton, there are no dairy farmers near me, had one supplier refuse them as they were for goats!
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 10:09:06 pm »
Argo at Penistone mill their own feeds and they do dairy nuts in single bags.  They do sell their feed to other merchants, so may be some near you.

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 10:22:05 pm »
its argo who refused to let me have them for goats lol

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 10:36:17 pm »
Well, they have never questioned me ....did they ask you, or did you tell them it was goats?!!  Did they give you a reason?  Cannot see what the problem was.

There again, I was refused a big tub of wormer for my large flock of hens, because they are laying hens.  Told  I must get the pre mixed layers pellets.  if I had not said they were laying hens it would have been ok!!!

I will get you a bag of dairy nuts from Argo - they are for my jersey cows of course!!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 08:45:21 am »
First rule of goat keeping .... never tell a merchant what you want an item for !!!!!!!!

It is true that if an item isn't licenced for goats they are within their rights to refuse to sell but that is being picky in the extreme.!!!!!!!

Cattle dairy nuts should not cost more than £7.25 a bag.. 25kg.    I pay £6.50 in Devon & I have just been told the price is likely to drop.

If you feed the mineral mix that I have had formulated,   you will be able to cut back on the amount of hard feed.........., still maintain or improve condition... that you feed by as much as 10% in some cases !¬!!

The minerals can be posted to you !!  Cost is £5 per 2kg bucket plus post/courier which ever is cheaper.

Roxy I haven't forgotten to ring you... not sure where this week has gone.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 02:14:29 pm »
Just a thought...  If you are wanting dairy cattle cake for your goats, your local dairy farmer may be happy to sell you some.  S/he'll be buying it by the tonne, which usually saves 50p-90p per 25kg.  If you're on friendly terms, it wouldn't hurt to ask?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 07:57:45 am »
Just a thought...  If you are wanting dairy cattle cake for your goats, your local dairy farmer may be happy to sell you some.  S/he'll be buying it by the tonne, which usually saves 50p-90p per 25kg.  If you're on friendly terms, it wouldn't hurt to ask?

had the same idea but when I asked on of the local farmers he laughed at me apparently we don't have a dairy herd for miles they are all beef cattle where we are  :(

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 07:03:44 pm »

You have a Dairy Farm near you?!

"First rule of goat keeping .... never tell a merchant what you want an item for !!!!!!!! "....yep learnt that years ago,when tthey started takingthepowers away from the Livestock keeper and giving them to the "experts" ;)

I get my Dairy stuff from Keiths' Plumseverywhere is that  where you're going?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 08:24:45 pm »
Keith said he had to order it in - does he order in for you jingle? I got this from countrywide, on closer inspection I think I got 25kg for just 60pence more than 20kg of goats mix so maybe not overpriced  :)
can't think of any dairy farms near here, just sheep & chickens, fruit and veg  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 10:17:49 pm »
You have a Dairy Farm near you?!

Loads.  One opposite, one three farms along to the west.  Three more within 4 miles to the north west.

Sorry, never even thought that any of you may not have a dairy farm within a few miles.  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 10:27:51 pm »
We still have dairy farms - and three farms near us bottle their own milk, and deliver it too.  One of the farmers and his wife are out at 5.30am each day, and both are 70 plus!!!

All these farms have the big trucks deliver their feeds, and blow it in to big tanks, not in 25kgs bags though.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 10:34:32 pm »
All these farms have the big trucks deliver their feeds, and blow it in to big tanks, not in 25kgs bags though.

Well, aye, 25kg sacks is an expensive way to buy cake.  So they might be prepared to let you fill a bag or two now and again and pay them for it.  I'm not trying to win any competition here, I just thought it might be a helpful suggestion.  Sounds like it was off target!  Sorry!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS