Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crazy, Mental Britain  (Read 20275 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Crazy, Mental Britain
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 01:11:48 pm »
Well done Russ, very well put. Remember this lift is not for disabled guests but INCASE we employ anyone disabled!!!!!!

Sack them all and start again, maybe get ourselves out of the mess we're in.

James

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 01:18:02 pm »
Right Russ, that sounds far far too sensible, so we'll have none of that nonsense in here. consider yourself warned!!  :)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 01:39:12 pm »
[glow=red,2,300][color=blue]Woman, 108, gets jury duty call 

Mrs Richardson celebrated her 108th birthday with family and friends
A woman who celebrated her 108th birthday at the weekend has been called for jury duty despite being more than 40 years over the age limit.

Marion Richardson, from Airdrie in North Lanarkshire, has told how she had a great laugh when learned she had been selected as a potential juror

[/i] [/glow]
Further example of this country gone mental. This is on the bbc News website[/color]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 01:46:15 pm by jameslindsay »

rustyme

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 02:24:27 pm »
lol... I shall go lock myself in the stocks for the day ........ ::)
            Political correctness is something I do not suffer from (now theres a suprise !!) and when I have it spouted at me, I have a one word (very unpc)  answer !!!! would anyone need three guesses what the word is ?

cheers

Russ

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 12:09:22 am »
We sold our old place because we decided it was too much hassle to try and go through the planning ourselves. We submitted outline ourselves, and then they didn't like what we wanted to do so refused detailed.

After we sold, the builder who bought it, managed to get permission for more houses than we were looking for, a revolting "pretend" courtyard development with 4 houses. 2 houses sold within a year, but the remaining 2 didn't sell for years, in which time the owners of the first once had theirs back up for sale! Builders always seem to get the planning permission they want.

Sympathies are with you James!

Beth

DavidnChris

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 11:32:32 am »
As I understand it firms have to provide facilities for disabled access. It does depend on the size of the firm though, so Barclays bank would have to provide much more in the way of facilities than our small guesthouse. www.kingswood-guesthouse.co.uk I think there may be some confusion between disabled employee and disabled guest. If they stick to the employee line can you argue that a disable employee would only have to clean certain rooms?
We've all had it with planners though at some time, we had an objection from next door about a window, tell the planners you'll go to appeal, this costs them money but not you, at this stage they will often fold. Fortunately in our case the letter of objection called us names and the planners didn't have a leg to stand on after I'd seen that. Yes you can ask to see the objections.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 12:02:06 pm »
If someone is so disabled they need a lift to get up stairs would they be physically capable of cleaning rooms? 

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 12:50:29 pm »
We had some work done on our house a couple of years ago which included some re-wiring. Due to regulations all light switches had to be lowered so that wheelchair users could reach them easily. I have no particular problem with that except that it included light switches upstairs - I don't know how anybody with a disability that necessitated the need for wheelchair would ever make it up our stairs!! Fortunately no great cost involved here, but a bit unnecessary. How does the saying go....."The road to hell is paved with good intentions!", or something like that?

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 02:03:13 pm »
When we built our house we were told to put the light switches at a rediculously low level. Im 6' 5" tall. We argued with the council to no avail. In the end I put them where I wanted them and the architect signed off on it anyway...What a load of old crap councils come up with. If I had to keep bending down to switch on a light I'd have ended up in a damn wheelchair. We have a friend who's disabled and she uses the ramp at the front of the house (we had no difficulty putting that in) as the kids can't trip on it, unlike steps. She can turn on any light switch downstairs with no effort. SO I ask you, was the council right and I wrong?

sandy

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 02:13:44 pm »
Strange indeed, so what about electric sockets, they are usually very difficult for people to plug things in or out of, in the elderly world, or for people with bad backs etc, a socket on the floor line causes great problems...we will end up with rows of sockets and light switches around the middle of the rooms..then people with be knocking them on accidentally and wasting electricity...what ever next?

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 07:26:20 am »
The village that I live in has a very corrupt planning system. Those in the settlement area can get permission to build 20 houses on a 2 house plot. Out of this area anyone with a large house can get 40-50%, those with a small house have trouble getting the 25%. If you live in an usual house don't even try to get any sort of planning as they don't like you.
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

Hardfeather

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 08:44:32 am »
I suspect this will alienate me on this forum, but I have to say I have been concerned for many years by the Anglicism of Scotland in terms of some of the ridiculous abominations which have been allowed to be built here.

'Brookside Close' type shopping centres have sprung up in many of the new towns, such as Dalgety Bay, Glenrothes, and many others, which were created predominantly for incoming electronics white collar workers who, presumably, had to be catered for so that they would feel comfortable in their little piece of Englandshire up here.

In smallholder terms, there have been allowed so many barn/steading conversions and developments of housing schemes that there are now very few traditional buildings in which to house livestock, and many of the holdings have been built over, or swallowed up by large agricultural businesses, so that now there is not enough land left in small plots to satisfy the needs of those who would seek to feed themselves.

Wildlife has suffered directly as a direct result of the predations of those who deny the importance of maintaining traditional agricultural buildings and practices; barn owls, swallows, swifts, house martins, house sparrows have all gone into severe decline due to the destruction of their habitats and preferred nesting sites.

Some of the buildings which have been allowed to be built in this country are complete eyesores, I cite Aviemore in particular, and should be torn down and replaced by something in keeping with the local materials/designs.

One doesn't have to go far in any direction to see buildings of alien designs sticking out like sore thumbs in my once beautiful landscapes, in many cases occupied by people who have little or nothing to do with others around them, thus fragmenting any sense of community which prevailed before they came with their ideas for change.

The planners may indeed be contentious, and may lack social skills when dealing with applicants, and I certainly don't condone their alleged misuse of power or their disrespectful attitudes but, given the amount of disregard of the rules by those who would build then apply for retrospective permission, or developers who tear down listed buildings then pay a paltry fine before going ahead with their original plans anyway on the strength of backhanders and funny handshakes, I imagine it must be very frustrating to be employed in a planning department.

Scotland has lost its way due to social engineering by the UK government, and is fast becoming just another piece of England, sadly.

DavidnChris

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 09:37:32 am »
I agree Scotland is becoming another piece of England. Scotland has better social care than England, free prescriptions, free hospital car parking and goodness knows what else, now you have your own parliament don't blame the planning on us !!!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 10:18:50 am »
I think its called progress ( :o :'()

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 11:00:04 am »
I thought we were 1 "UNION"?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS