Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rhode Island cross Light Sussex  (Read 4829 times)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Rhode Island cross Light Sussex
« on: October 07, 2011, 10:40:23 am »
My light sussex hatched out some chicks a few months ago.  The eggs were a mix of pure RIR and RIRXLS.  Out of the 4 chicks (there was 7 but 3 died when my mum's scottie came to visit) there is one ginger brown one - a hen I think due to the sex link and 3 RIR coloured. Of these one had a more prominent and redder comb and wattle (Ithink that is the right term!) - would be be a boy and the other 2 girls - they are about 3 months old?

Thanks

PS will try and get a picture

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: Rhode Island cross Light Sussex
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 11:00:51 am »
pictures would be better help

Eggs, Chicks & Hens

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 11:19:20 am »
Yes, you can usually tell the sex of these birds by the age of 6 to 7 weeks cocks will have the biggar comb

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 06:22:20 pm »
If you put a RIR cock with LS hens they will be sex linked boys will be yellow girls are a beige colour, they are not sex linked if you put a LS boy with RIR girls not sure of the reasons for this, but have hatched RIR boy with LS girls and was able to sell all the boys at a day old.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:44:24 pm »
Thanks for the reply - I did originally get the RIR and LS so I could tell the chicks at a day old - but life took over and the chicken has raised them herself - it is lovely to see them - they are a real little family - I think there is one RIR cock as he is bigger and has a more pronounced comb and wattle and also he has some green on his tail.  Will be interesting to see how they integrate with the other chickens and how the cock fairs with my existing cock - unless any one needs a nice healthy RIR cock - wormed and no scaly leg in my small flock...??

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS