Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can you identify this chicken?  (Read 5387 times)

elfirin

• Joined May 2011
  • Fife
Can you identify this chicken?
« on: October 05, 2011, 11:42:13 pm »
We were given a few chickens when a local breeder died, and I've been able to identify all of them except one.
Its the chicken to the far left of the photo below - she's a bantam type.
The others are (I think) light sussex, silkie, black rock, rhode island red, and ancona (left to right in the pic), but if anyone disagrees I'd be interested to know what they are!

I think they are varying ages as we've had some eggs but they are moulting now and seem to have stopped laying.

Thanks!  :thumbsup:  :chook:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Can you identify this chicken?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 12:47:15 am »
What a lovely multi-coloured group! 

The one on the left is certainly very pretty.  She looks rather like a Welsummer but somehow I think she's not.  Someone with a lot more experience than me should be along shortly to help.  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Pheasant pharmer

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Ebberston, North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 01:11:04 pm »
I agree with Sally that the necknfeathers look like a Wellsummer, but the rest of her doesn't so much  ???

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 01:13:46 pm »
I havnt got a clue, sorry, but they are a lovely looking bunch  :wave:

elfirin

• Joined May 2011
  • Fife
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 03:25:44 pm »
Thanks, they are pretty! No, I think she definitely isn't a Welsummer because we did also get given a very typical looking Welsummer, but sadly she was attacked by some predator in the middle of the afternoon when we'd gone out for an hour or so, and although it didn't kill her then, we couldn't save her  >:(. Not sure what it was, but the dog is on guard now and we haven't had a repeat! (The dog was locked up in the house at that point so we know it definitely wasn't her!)

When you saw them next to each other, this bantam didn't resemble that Welsummer at all. She's very pretty but I really have no idea what she could be. Lays light beige-ish eggs. Anyone else got any ideas?  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 04:48:13 pm »
No, I think she definitely isn't a Welsummer because we did also get given a very typical looking Welsummer
<...snip...>
When you saw them next to each other, this bantam didn't resemble that Welsummer at all. She's very pretty but I really have no idea what she could be. Lays light beige-ish eggs.

You can get quite a lot of variation in Welsummer colouring and marking, but the beige eggs are a give away.  LF Welsummers lay dark nutty brown eggs.  :yum:  (I assume bantie Welsummer eggs are dark brown also?) 

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 05:28:35 pm »
Definitely not a welsummer - wrong colour with a buff underside and dark tail, and wrong body shape. No idea what she actually is  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 08:27:25 pm »
leg bar?  or some bar cross?

(am I looking at the right hen?!)
Little Blue

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 09:43:35 pm »
my first thought was dorking cross of some sort?
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 06:57:32 am »
I can't see clearly enough  but poss Buff Sussex?

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 07:47:53 am »
leg bar?  or some bar cross?

(am I looking at the right hen?!)

I did ponder the same. I have some commercial X cream crested legbars and as youngsters they were very similar looking. Black tail tips, red neck, pale breast with a beige/orange/brown/cream speckle back.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 09:32:15 am »
she is very similar to my cream crested legbars. It always amazes me the different colours you can get in CCL

Mel

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 01:43:17 pm »
 Hi, :wave: Gorgeous group,maybe a cream crested legbar crossed with a welsummer?  :D

elfirin

• Joined May 2011
  • Fife
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 02:01:15 pm »
Thanks everyone. I think they should all be pure-breeds (or more recognised hybrids like the black rock) as apparently the breeder was quite traditional and did lots of showing (there were lots of old prize-winning certificates etc in his possessions), so its probably unlikely to be a cross. His son isn't the slightest bit interested in chickens so we just got to pick some that we liked the look of (hence the varying ages).

From various suggestions it seems most likely she's a cream legbar but there haven't been any blue eggs as yet. She seems a bit light for a Buff Sussex, and doesn't have the feathery crest of a CCL. Perhaps there'll be blue eggs in the future!

Thanks again,  :wave:

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 04:05:31 pm »
she looks very simliar to my Wellsummer/Light Sussex crosses - don't think she is a buff sussex though

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS