Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bought milk tasting funny  (Read 3367 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Bought milk tasting funny
« on: October 05, 2011, 08:13:06 pm »
In our house we drink alot of milk sadly i don't have room for a cow so i just buy it when i do my shopping,i buy in 6 pint bottles usually of full fat milk,i opened a bottle yesterday and it has a very funny taste to it,hard to describe but almost like a coffee taste,its never tasted like that before,so i opened another 6 pints and that's the same,i never said anything to the rest of the family and today my boy said why is the milk tasting like coffee? at least its not just me then,should i be taking this back,what would be causing it to be like this.

Thanks

Karen

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Bought milk tasting funny
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:33:03 pm »
I would take it back - it shouldn't taste like coffee no matter what is wrong with it.  What make is it?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:34:47 pm »
it was from tesco.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:36:44 pm »
Tesco have a few brands though.  But the first port of call is them.  They'll replace it, but maybe you should open it and taste it there and then in case it's a bad batch they've had delivered.  Or take a different brand.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:44:46 pm »
I think i will take it back,on the bottle it just says tesco whole milk less than 4% fat, that's it no brand just a British flag and tesco farm pledge.I was just wondering what would have caused it to taste like this,when i tasted it i just thought it was me being silly as i hate coffee but now my son has said it i so glad i'm not going mad!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 10:17:35 pm »
Does milk not taste like that when it's 'on the turn'?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 12:50:58 am »
Does milk not taste like that when it's 'on the turn'?

I'd have said it tasted cheesy rather than like coffee when it's turning, but I can't speak for supermarket homogenised stuff.  When I used to get it I can't remember it ever tasting like coffee.  ???
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 06:37:07 am »
Are you sure it's not silage taint, they should not be feeding it just yet but with the fodder shortage down south you never know, feed beet can also taint milk. But coffee?   I'd take it back it might be contaminated deliberately, needs looking into.

Pheasant pharmer

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Ebberston, North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 12:59:38 pm »
I remember tasting the silage in the milk years ago when we were on the farm, but never when I've bought pasteurised milk.

Definitely worth taking to Tescos ASAP in my opinion.

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 10:29:41 am »
i could taste/smell the silage in the milk when we lived in hampshire (tesco). never had the problem up here, but it certainly didnt taste of coffee.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:37:04 am by princesspiggy »

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 08:33:34 pm »
Did you take it back?  What did they say?

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 09:50:36 pm »
I did take it back,they sent a report to head office and refunded my money.I did ask if they had any others back and they said no.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS