Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tomato blight!  (Read 3956 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Tomato blight!
« on: September 15, 2011, 12:13:51 pm »
I've been badly hit this year in the tunnel with half the fruit rotting before they turn red. What can I do to avoid this happening again as I do want to keep growing tomatoes in there!? I posted early in the season when the first green fruit rotted away and I now believe that this was blight already, not mould although it looked like it...help! :&>

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Tomato blight!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 03:53:58 pm »
Burn all plants fruit etc.

Disinfect the tunnel or use one of them smoke bomb things. Don't plant tomatoes in the same soil try using growbags etc next year.

Do not use compost from around the tomatoes on potatoes either.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 04:57:17 pm »
yup, I'd say the same. Some years i dig out all the blighted compost and put it on bed where tomatoes and strawberries won't be and put fresh in the greenhouse.  it's a real pest but given our recent weather it's not really a great surprise i suppose......back to outdoor varieties next year Kerstin! :(

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 06:37:39 pm »
someone who studied agriculture told me today that it doesn't make a difference if you burn stuff - the spores have settled and they are there to stay from now on....you're limited to damage control - not a promising prospect :o :&>

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 07:02:09 pm »
its the same as the potato debate, i only now grow blight resistant spuds, and there are resistant tomato varieties.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 07:03:22 pm »
There are a few blight resistant tomato varieties available now which helps in the fight.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 07:17:13 pm »
it does seem pointless to fall to blight year after year. the sarpo varieties of spud are fine. i didnt grow toms this year for various reasons,one being i made more from selling the young plants than i ever would from the harvest. ferline is supposed to be resistant from memory.

homesweethome

• Joined Sep 2011
  • pembrokeshire / camarthansire
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 03:19:58 pm »
i suffered really bad with tomato  blight last year and the only thing i had done differently was plant potatoes in direct wind line of the greenhose door.
so there one tip.
and just keep your chin up and start nextyear with all clean compost pot everything and hope.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 04:58:23 pm »
The 2012 seed catalogues are just coming out so you can check for resistant varieties and plan carefully.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 08:39:09 am »
I've been badly hit this year in the tunnel with half the fruit rotting before they turn red. What can I do to avoid this happening again as I do want to keep growing tomatoes in there!? I posted early in the season when the first green fruit rotted away and I now believe that this was blight already, not mould although it looked like it...help! :&>
Air flow in the house daily will help the problem.  Lots of problems occur when the house is closed up, so this is the only option.    Fresh air is so important :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS