Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just getting myself prepared  (Read 2003 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Just getting myself prepared
« on: December 02, 2011, 02:17:04 am »
Fingers crossed we will be moving in January.  This will be my first venture into livestock, for anything other than a cat and dog and I intend to have a couple of weaners in early spring.

The place we are going to already has a CPH number and as they had pigs previously they bought ear tags with their herd number.  Apparently they bought 100 tags and have only used 2.  Can I take over that herd number (and the tags) or do I have to register for a herd number of my own?

thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Just getting myself prepared
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 07:00:11 am »
i think you get your own herd number
but best of luck
i love pigs :pig: :pig: :pig:
 :love: :love: :love:
Mx

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 08:41:28 am »
It may be worth explaining the situation to Animal Health and asking if you can take over the herd mark - and ear tags.  When we bought the moorland sheep farm we took over the sheep flock number.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 08:46:40 am »
Thanks Sally, thats a good idea.  When the situation with the property is more definite (just having it surveyed at present) I will talk to Animal Health

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 09:17:20 am »
Yes it is up to your regional AH and how they feel, or probably more accurately whether it takes longer on the computer to have you as a new pig keeper, or alter the owner details  :)

If you speak nicely your may be able to take over.  You would also take on any legal compliance issues (such as ensuring 20 day standstill, medicine withdrawl periods etc.) that might be there on the transfer date, and possibly before in some cases.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 09:34:42 am »
how exciting for u!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 09:54:14 am »
Thanks Oaklands.  I shouldn't fall foul of the 20 day standstill period as they haven't had pigs in a while, but I will make sure to ask the vendors all of the details just in case I missed something.

Princesspiggy,
Its very exciting. I have been waiting so long I am trying to play it cool at the moment but its not working  :)

Having said I would wait until we got further down the line before I speak to A/H, I have already emailed them this morning as I couldn't wait  ;D ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 03:06:34 pm »
As Sally suggested I got in contact with AH.  They have said that I need to get a new CPH and pig herd number and there isn't anyway round it.
Its not a problem as I don't intend to get the pigs until the spring anyway but at least now I know what I need to do first when I finally move in.

thanks everyone  :thumbsup:

Sally

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 05:30:46 pm »
well at least you'll start with a clean sheet !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS