Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pick Ups - best MPG.  (Read 4706 times)

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
Pick Ups - best MPG.
« on: October 19, 2011, 07:51:55 pm »
Of all the Pick up trucks out there, which is the most fuel efficient?
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Pick Ups - best MPG.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:48:25 am »
I have an 09 Ford Ranger double cab most basic model they do and i get around 386 miles a tank of diesel which costs around £72 so you can work out from that what kind of ,mileage i'm getting. I will say though its great in bad weather goes anywhere and has a 3T pulling strength, you don't know you've got a trailer on. However with a trailer on the fuel consumption nosedives to around 26mpg especially if you're pulling into a headwind saying that i love my pick up and wouldn't be without it given the winters we've just had and how much junk i can get in the back, better than a big handbag ;) ;D OH hates it but even borrows it to go shooting on the moors! Shop around and do lots of research, avoid Nissan Navarras heard they are iffy after 65k miles have a habit of throwing gear boxes. MY Uncle & cousin both swear by their Toyotas so horses for courses,
Good luck. be the best buy you ever make.
Mandy  :pig:

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:16:07 am »
Mines a Toyota Hilux, 1999, single cab!!  Fab Fab Fab!!
I have had it for five years, bought it second hand with 90k on the clock. It now has 150k and is still strong as an ox! No rust, no problems. averages at £300/year maintainance/garage costs including the MOT. So if it is a little higher on fuel consumption  than some of the more modern trucks - its a pay off!!

Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 02:28:24 pm »
I've currently got a 2WD Vauxhall Brava - it's ex AA with the back body gutted out and a grille on the back, just perfect for transporting my sheep to shows etc. It had done 111K when I got it 8 years ago, and has now done 225K and still runs sweet. The trouble is it won't go on for ever and I've always got one eye out for something to replace it should the worst happen. It does an average 40 MPG, but acts like a complete wuss in snow and mud! so a 4WD would be favourite next time around.
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 04:05:35 pm »
Our Mitsubishi L200 Animal does 32-34 mpg on mixed (mainly country roads) driving.  Fuel consumption rises a little pulling our large trailer but only very noticeably if there is a lot of wind.  Worst case is probably about 26mpg with the trailer full of bullocks and driving into a headwind.

HTH  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 07:23:27 pm »
Ha   

My ISUZU 2.5 TurboCrew cab doesaround 250 to a £70 tank full and is rubish at towing, or not towing come to think about it LOL but they go for ever.
It has a dent in every panel stinks of sheep poo and dogs  :thumbsup: so she wont let me have a new truck.

Dont buy one  :D

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 10:13:23 pm »
Don't forget that the biggest determinant of fuel consumption is the driver's right boot.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS