Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new regulations  (Read 5713 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
new regulations
« on: March 02, 2009, 02:04:35 pm »
I think I came across here somewhere that there are some new regulations for smallholders regarding keeping pigs. I'm asking this for a friend, please put me in the know if you can. :&>

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: new regulations
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 02:50:17 pm »
I'm not aware of anything - so I'll be interested in responses!

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 05:48:37 pm »
Yep, I heard of the new Regs....green wellies and cloth caps are now mandatory, piece of straw in the mouth is still optional  :D! Oh I wish...it's the only way I could get the cloth cap past my wife!

:farmer:

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 06:43:09 pm »
Thats interesting i heard that it is also compulsory to be covered head to toe in mud whilst even looking at pigs!

On a serious note.. I'm not aware there has been any changes, although this is DEFRA we are talking about.. they've most likely changed them but forgotton to tell anyone!  ;)

BB

DavidnChris

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 06:44:50 pm »
Having laughed at old blokes in caps, I now find I understand why they wear them, just loose your hair and you'll see how warm a cap makes you.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 06:55:16 pm »
Don't want to cause a panic here, folks! It might have to do with registering, something a newbie (or birdkeeper like me) might not know lol. :&>

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 07:13:43 pm »
If you go on the DEFRA home page, you should find all the info you need!

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 08:27:33 pm »
Green wellies are no good for pigs, you have to buy them 2 pairs each and they never take them off at the door. they also suffer with athletes trotter.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 10:06:15 pm »
Thanks, Billy, That's what I was looking for
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/id-move/pigs/pdf/new_owner_guide.pdf

I understand why my mate wants pigs, you are a really funny crowd in green wellies and caps lol :&>

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 07:43:23 am »
Green wellies and caps are de rigeur for all the poshest, havent you seen the pics of the Queen at Sandringham???

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 09:01:49 am »
Here in gods own county it is the law that all males over 10 wear flat caps. green wellies are for toffs and townies. Industrial wellies with toe caps or fur lined rigger boots are much tougher. the law about clogs has been phased out due to hippies in hebden taking over the production and making pastel shades.. H aving spent part of my life in Derbyshire i compromise and sometimes wear a bobble hat pulled down over my ears.
sorry I digress, that is the most usefull document for new pig keepers defra have done. once registered they tend you keep you updated with all sorts of related matters.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS