Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted - Rare breed pork, North Fife  (Read 6104 times)

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
Wanted - Rare breed pork, North Fife
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:02:52 pm »
I am considering a totally, perhaps not life changing, but certainly radical change. I have been a strict vegetarian these last 10 years or so but having found this forum and read about how everyone cares for their livestock so well, and actually do care about them, not just see them as £, have decided to have a go at eating some rare breed meat (I have also realised these breeds would completely disappear if people did not eat them, which would certainly be a shame!). I would want purely rare breed though I think, not crossed with anything else. I think I could accept eating it knowing that the animal was really truly happy whilst it was alive and had a quick, stress free death. So - HAPPY rare breed pork wanted please. Not sure how much, will need to discuss with the OH. If I chicken out and can't eat it, he will, so it won't go to waste. I decided meat from a pig would be a good way to start, as bacon and sausages etc would be less of a hurdle to eat than a big ol' slab of steak!

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Wanted - Rare breed pork, North Fife
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 07:35:20 pm »
If you fancied some lamb I have just the stuff.

Incidentally I was a vegetarian for 17 years and now I am not.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 08:16:50 pm »
Slightly off topic, but my father-in-law was veggie for years until we started rearing our own animals for meat. He's now happy to eat meat, 'cos he knows how it's been reared.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:43:12 am by Rosemary »

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 08:24:42 pm »
I think you are taking a very brave and honourable step.....for all the best reasons. 

We rear our own lamb and pork;  because we love our animals and care for their every need whilst they are with us, we respect the meat when it is on the table. We eat smaller portions, and savour every meal; essentially the meat has more value now because we know what goes into the animals life.

I hope you find a supplier who ticks all the boxes.

Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 08:27:07 pm »
welcome to your life changing decision      all pigs represented by by the bpa are rare and after you have eaten them even rarer
sausages are the best way forward that way you sample the different breeds and variety's of sausage that is available
we have a friend that is a vegetarian yet she will eat our sausages
just remember if you cant keep one eat one :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 08:51:05 pm »
I'm all out of sausages Nic  :(
But I have got some Berkshire bacon in the freezer and will have Tamworth sausages by the time the litter of Kunes are ready to leave home - if you're prepared to wait I'm sure we can figure something out  ;)
Take care,
Karen  :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 12:16:22 pm »
hi, i use to be a strict veggie for 7 years then a vegan. now we eat meat but mainly what we raise ourselves and rarely buy meat at all.
i could offer u half a birth notified tamworth, butchered and ready 1st week of dec. we are in aberdeenshire.
i could arrange delievery if u wanted smaller amounts.
pm me if u are interested.
thanx

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 03:00:27 pm »
Well done for deciding to try some.  I have a few friends who were vegetarian - now eat pork from me.  It's very flattering.

Anyway, I breed GOS pigs and we prepare all the meat here in our butchery.  I have a special offer of free delivery to mainland UK at the moment.

If you are interested let me know.

www.fordmillfarm.co.uk

Julie.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 03:52:18 pm »
Thanks for all the offers and support. Karen, it would be logical to buy some from yourself when we come across to collect our girly kune (whom we are very excited about and have already named Penelope, despite her not being born yet!). I'm guessing that would be around January time though and ideally I would like to get some before then, before I change my mind! We are off on holidays to New Zealand Nov-Dec time which sadly rules out Julie (if the next delivery date on your website is still correct) and Princesspiggy. I have found this place near Edinburgh just from an online search: http://www.ballencrieffrppigs.co.uk/ Looks good from the website, has anybody had any dealings with them?

Thanks! Nicola

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 06:25:55 am »
If the week beginning 24th October for delivery  is better for you let me know.

I have a pig going off to replenish the freezer here, but I could make a box up for you.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

bethm

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 02:14:45 pm »
If you just want a taster rather than a whole lot of pork....
I have just picked up a birth notified GOS porker from the butcher...I've had her since she was 2 months old and she has been happy on the spoils of my veggie patch, windfall apples and organic pig nuts all summer. I will be making sausages in the next couple of weeks......you can come and try one, and see her sisters in the paddock for a belly scratch!! I'm in the east neuk....

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 08:10:23 pm »
Hi Nic99, we're down in the Borders and would happily sort you out some outdoor reared rare breed pork from our Oxford Sandy & Black or Mangalitza pigs. You can check out our website thornieleecottage.co.uk if you want prices or to see the pigs, though I'll happily give you a free pound or two of sausages or chops as a taster if you like. You've obviously thought long and hard about making this decision and I really respect that. I'll be up in Fife on 19th if you want anything.

Hannes

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • Loch Arthur and their animals
    • Loch Arthur Farms
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 08:30:22 pm »
we have Fresh meat Days again from the 27th onwards. And inbetween anyway frozen outdoor reared piork available in our farm shop. Come and visit us at www.locharthur.org.uk !

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 08:49:49 pm »
wow  with the amount of free pork you are offered you will be able to fill your freezer ;)

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 11:17:35 am »
Thanks for all the offers everyone. I have already ordered some Tamworth which should arrive shortly. If it goes down well, I may just get back to the rest of you!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS