Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kune diet & feeding advice  (Read 6072 times)

HappyHippy

Kune Kune diet & feeding advice
« on: October 02, 2011, 11:27:31 am »
There's been lots of discussion lately, and as Kunes are different to most other breeds of pig in their nutritional needs I thought I'd put this info up as a source of advice. It's taken directly from the New Zealand Kune Kune society website (which has loads of other good advice) and can be found here http://www.kunekune.co.nz/kunekune-articles.html

From the website-
Kunekune Diet

Kunekunes are a grass grazing pig and can cope with a high fibre diet, with adult Kunekunes being able to maintain body condition on good quality pasture alone. As pasture quality varies, however, it is normal to supplement their diet when pasture is in short supply. If you don't want to use commercial rations, be careful that the supplement is of sufficient quality for what the pig needs.

Pregnant and lactating sows should always be fed at a higher rate, as their nutritional needs are greater. For young pigs a good quality supplement should be used up until about 9 months of age during their growing phase.

Different foods contain different ratios of protein, carbohydrate, and fibre: pasture contains about 3% protein, bread up to 8% protein but with high carbohydrate, potatoes 0.5% protein, milk 3.5-5% protein. Cheese is also an excellent supplement, but like milk can cause diarrhoea because of the fat content.

The main commercial pellet rations vary from 12 to 16.5% protein, but not all contain the essential vitamins and amino acids of a nutritionally complete food.

Suggested rate of feeding commercial pellets when some pasture is available:

adult boar or sow - 1 to 1.5 Kg per day
lactating sow - 1 to 1.5 Kg + 0.2Kg/piglet/day
piglets 2-4 months - 0.5 Kg per day
pigs 4-9 months - 0.75 Kg per day

Pigs should be fed twice a day when needing to be supplemented, and have ready access to clean water. Adult sows can drink up to 50 litres of water a day during lactation, particularly during hot weather.

Creep feed is not normally provided for Kunekune piglets unless the sow is not producing sufficient milk.

Hope that helps a bit ?
Karen x

PS- I feed hay/hayledge when the grass is losing goodness and as much fruit and veg as I can get my hands on legally  ;) They love it !

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Kune Kune diet & feeding advice
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:10:22 pm »
thanks Karen, very helpful.

and I can vouch for lactating sows drinking plenty - we are forever topping up the trough :)
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS