Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: old broken down ewes tups etc.  (Read 4204 times)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
old broken down ewes tups etc.
« on: October 01, 2011, 08:22:13 am »
Speaking to our neighbour the other day , he said he's sorting out all his old sheep stock ready for market as there was another big Moslem  festival soon and the prices will be good ,  !
Sunday 6 November
Eid-Ul-Adha
Festival of Sacrifice marking the day after Arafat. The Day of Arafat is the most important day in the Hajj ritual. This is a four day holiday

Saturday 26 November
Al-Hijira
Islamic New Year. Marks the migration of the Prophet Mohammad and his followers from Mecca to Medina

Monday 5 December
Ashura
Islamic holy day observed on the 10th of the Islamic month of Muharram. Shi'ite Muslims regard it as a major festival marking the martydom of the Prophet's grandson, Hussein..

« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 12:58:09 pm by tizaala »

salopman

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: old broken down ewes tups etc.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 12:46:15 pm »
Dont want to start any racism but have you seen what they do to animals on these festivals - just google the word "qubala" - not for the squimish!!!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 03:36:00 pm »
One of the reason me or my dogs eat our oldies, and I dont send them to the mart. Wont be wanting to be making my money this way.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 11:54:12 pm »
  I just have googled 'qubala' and couldn't find anything horrendous. Do you mean the method by which they are slaughtered, ie Halal?
 Having visited a slaughterhouse, I don't really think that having an animal's throat quickly and humanely cut is any worse than having its brains electrified in the stunning process.   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 12:03:18 am »
Decades ago I had a friend who was an Environmental Health Officer and had done some stints in slaughterhouses.

He told me back then that, from his perspective, the main difference between Kosher and Halal was that for Kosher there has to be nothing adhere to the knife, so the knife has to be incredibly sharp, whereas there is no such stipulation for Halal.  And back then, he said, some of the knives being used for Halal slaughter were very blunt, to the extent that there was a humane issue.

As I understand it, the regs have long since tightened this up, and knives for Halal slaughter now have to be just as sharp as those for Kosher.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

salopman

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 03:09:11 pm »
sorry the word is "Qurbani" - if you go on Youtube and put in that word you will see some nasty slaughter of poor animals - its not for the squimish -

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 06:33:38 pm »
I'm not getting into the Halal/Kosher slaughter debate - but you tube is full of horrendous clips when it comes to animals and their welfare  :-\

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 09:30:54 pm »
I am an earthy type guy who believes in survival tacktics , i had a look and I think that is all so unnecessary and barbaric
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

deepinthewoods

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 09:40:00 pm »
absolutely agree.
this is for reference only

DO NOT LOOK IF YOU ARE AT ALL SQUEAMISH.

Eid Qurbaani

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 08:31:55 am »
I can't watch the clip but the still at the beginning is clearly a street.
We in the UK don't kill in the street, so with all due respect it's a false comparison.

I don't agree with non-stunned slaughter, and in fact there is a different reading/interpretation of the Koran that does allow for stunning in modern slaughter. I don't know know how to push for that though, as Halal is all one label, so to speak.

Now, a live exported animal may make it to that street butchery....  >:(

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 04:24:05 pm »
Hi - as we like mutton we have our old ewes slaughtered at the abattoir.  Quite often we have people come around asking to buy the old sheep and we know what would happen to them!  Not for me -  by the time they get to pension age we know them pretty well and prefer they have a quick end.  The slaughter house is only a few miles away so no stress there. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS