Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to watch for....  (Read 3479 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
What to watch for....
« on: March 01, 2009, 06:16:28 pm »
Hello all, I've started worming my wee Tamworth weaners...now is there anything else I should watch for, or be doing to keep my Tamworths in tip top shape? I'll be worming every six months. Was looking at panacur 1.5% online at http://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk , seems a bit costly at £85 for 5kg...anyone got a cheaper supplier...I've looked but can't seem to find any. Is there a cheaper alternative thats as handy, because the 'ol panacur pellets are pretty much fool proof.

Introduced a new weaner to the other two today, no rows..they were just hugely interested in the new arrival. If anything they seemed to be playing with her. Big relief.  :farmer:

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: What to watch for....
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 06:59:30 pm »
We use Panomec which is an injectable wormer.  Usually available in 50ml bottles from Vet or agricultural merchants, works well too!

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 08:42:47 pm »
Oral injection, with a gun type nozzle?

:farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 07:33:03 am »
Watch for those nasty black lice things.  (They are called Keds over here).  They start behind the ears and are often seen down the spine.  I have found any good dog flea spray to be good at quickly removing them.  Young tamworths seem to be particularly attractive to them.  (Also check between the folds of skin at the tops of legs when you are giving them a tummy rub.

Dont feel guilty about the huge amount of time you will consume just being with them, its all part of the fun!!! 

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 10:00:10 am »
Any ideas where I can get cheaper Panacur Hillarysmum, or an alternative thats as handy. Anything in tablet for or dispensed orally by injection gun will do...  :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 12:11:07 pm »
This is not official, however a friend, who works for a vet, uses equvalan horse paste.  1 does 6 pigs apparently.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS