Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Daffs in the Garden  (Read 8256 times)

dopirt

Daffs in the Garden
« on: March 01, 2009, 05:55:58 pm »
Daffs are now starting to show their colour in the garden today.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 05:59:08 pm by dopirt/spoonraker »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Daffs in the Garden
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 09:24:00 pm »
Remember to keep dogs and puppies away from Daffodils - they are poisonous, killers in fact.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 09:51:49 pm »
That's early, Norrie, where are you?? Ours are half the size! :&>

minidax

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 09:54:18 pm »
Ours only about 5 or 6 inches but no sign of any blooms yet, loads of snowdrops still ...! I probably haven't been talking to the daffs enough!!!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 09:59:04 pm »
I found some lovely small purple crocuses, too. Not the ones on the photo, those are autumn crocuses lol

dopirt

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 10:11:52 pm »
Remember to keep dogs and puppies away from Daffodils - they are poisonous, killers in fact.

Daffodil bulbs are not only poisonous to dogs and puppies.  They can be killers to humans too.

Symptoms:  Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea. Could result in a fatality
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 10:27:01 pm by dopirt/spoonraker »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 10:56:23 pm »
Don't think I'd try to eat them - but I had a pup that tried once.  Luckily I was there and grabbed it off her.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:35:27 pm »

Daffodil bulbs are not only poisonous to dogs and puppies.  They can be killers to humans too.

Symptoms:  Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea. Could result in a fatality

Poisonious to sheep goats etc as well. Normally causes scouring. Careful if they're planted alongside your fence and the livestock can reach through to them.

Beth

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 03:13:17 pm »
Our sheep have been on the lawn, which has daffs in it. They haven't touched them, sensible girls (and that's not something you hear said about sheep often!)

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 09:47:29 pm »
are they safe for poultry mine keep ripping them out of the ground :chook:

sandy

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 10:38:16 pm »
My daffs are flowering, there are some in with the chickens, they just tred them down and so then I collect them and put them in a vase, I do not think they have atempted to eat any!!! Qw planted loads and tul;ips, before we had the hens, we took a few out but they did look nice......

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 10:42:43 pm »
My ducks do leave them and the snowdrops well alone. They seem to know that they can't eat them, maybe your birds are just playful, looking for beasties underneath. :&>

sandy

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 09:56:58 am »
I think the play a game......flattern everything although my snowdrops were fine too. I keep the hens in the top part of my garden, it has several large trees in it and small bushes, a little pond and a few shrubs, the chickens have cleared everything else, we have flower bed boarder where the chickens make pot holes and have dust baths but the main large area of ground is large stones with a few snowdrops and bluebess popping through.  I decorated the area with big logs and a few wooden barrels with shrubs and lavender in them, it looks OK, looking forward to getting the Ducks but first I need to get the house ready, my first attenpt was not too good...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS