Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken treats  (Read 3296 times)

valantinas

• Joined Sep 2009
Chicken treats
« on: September 28, 2011, 05:52:44 pm »
Hi
I was in a pet shop the other day and saw thet were selling treats for hens, which basicly was corn bound together in a clear substance which the hens would pick on.  It looks like it would be easy to make and shape so I looked at the ingridients to see what was binding the corn together in the shape.  Not helpful though as it says binding.  Has anyone any idea what could be used to make the binding to make one of these treats?

Pete

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Chicken treats
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:01:12 pm »
No idea but I give my girls sunflower seeds as treats and very occasionally meal worms which they go mad for :chook:

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:17:37 pm »
At this time of year i put up mixes of veg and seeds in lard to bind it all up and hang them up for a bit of fun

Give it go they love it !
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:39:57 pm »
Lard is certainly what I stick seeds and dried fruit together with, for the wild birds.

My chooks just love scattered corn and go mad for sultanas   ;D

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 04:23:38 pm »
IFF I NEED TO GET HENS IN TOP CONDITION I MIX UP McVitie's biscuits WITH BOILED EGGS ITS GOT EVEREY THINK IN IT .ITS GOOD FOR SICK BIRDS AND BIRDS IN MOULT .

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 07:49:32 pm »
Sounds good V.F. :chook:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 07:28:38 am »
Ours get a tin of sardines regularly as a treat. They go nuts for them, and apparently the oil is good for them.  :)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 07:44:20 am »
Dan,
          Don't the sardines make the eggs taste " fishy" ?  I know years ago they used a lot of fishmeal for chicken feed and that used to taste the eggs badly.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 07:47:17 am »
I'd heard that, but we've never experienced any fishiness, probably because we're feeding such small quantities.

A fews of tins of sardines between 80 hens a couple of times a week doesn't seem to taint the eggs at all.  :)

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 07:57:25 am »

Has anyone any idea what could be used to make the binding to make one of these treats?

I used to buy 25kg of mealworms for £50 and mix them into balls with lard as a binding agent. I would put some grain in them too. But I soon realised that it wasn't worth the time, effort or cost. The chickens were just as excited to have a loaf of stale bread or a cabbage... instead of the mealworms.

Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 08:48:38 am »
It's easy enough to breed your own mealworms but I only do a "chicken treat" number at a time in a large plastic box.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS