Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rammy lamby ding dong :)  (Read 5778 times)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Rammy lamby ding dong :)
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:20:04 pm »
Yippee - managed to catch two of my three rams today, all trimmed and ready to rock  on entering 'at top field for tupping (shaggy) time - the ladies seem most impressed (although they soon ran away when any action started)

OK so for this evening they are probably still shagging each other and fighting over the other 64 ladies - hopefuly get the third one in tomorrow as the 'distraction'

Loverly watching the boys with their blue harnesses on roaming around clipping the ewes sides with their forelegs - lets get this season rocking - get shagging boys!!

Baz

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Rammy lamby ding dong :)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:23:38 pm »
Read the title - my ram lamb last year was called rammy lamby and the ram was called Ding Dong - thought OH had started to post on MY forum!!!  ;D ;D ;D
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:48:27 pm »
when you say you have trimmed them, what have you trimmed? do you trim them around the pizzle?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:14:08 pm »
Its always a bit of a pizzle- no in honesty I meant their tooties, f*** they were heavy too (again!).

I needed to trim one (pair) of the boys feet cos his trajectory may have been impeded lol.

- And yet again I had to buy another set of foot trimmers in the rush cos I cant find the other ones. (my disorganisation doesnt astound me anymore)

Baz

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 09:16:08 pm »
I think the first ram lamb of this year of mine will have to be rammy lamby - no-matter what :)

Baz

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:38:00 pm »
My Greyface Dartmoor rams have just finished their 'tour of duty', so barring returns lambing should be wrapped up by 20th feb! I think i'm being a tad optimistic!  ;)
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 03:24:14 pm »
We've been very lucky and sold all our tups this year so had to put our old boy back out with the commercials this year ( We were going to move him on at market cause he is getting on) He's only got one working eye the other had a really bad infection a few years ago and is badly scarred.
Anyway turned him out with a harness on and the old codger is going like the 08.30 express to London.
I think he 'll have them all done soon, he came off the trailer with a glint in his eye and he's usually so laid back; seen- it- all- before attitude ambles after girls. This time he shot up the field a bit wobbly cause he's arthritic and down on his pasterns and he looked like a kid in a sweet shop.
If he dies on the job at least he will die a happy ram!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 07:13:08 pm »
Bless!  I had a favourite Texel where we did the same thing, he sired a fantastic final crop of lambs and had a ball.  Only thing was it took him such a long time to regain enough condition for it to be reasonable to send him to the mart...  I did contemplate getting him shot on the farm and saving him the trip to the mart (not supposed to be softies, commercial farmers, but you do get favourites...  ::)) but at that time I didn't know where I could get a dead cert one hit killing shot.  (I do now - our local hunt kennels do a good and very sympathetic job.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 08:12:53 pm »
I really miss not having a hunt kennel.  It was better for everyone, and performed a useful service.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 10:08:31 pm »
My new shearling ram on a mission.....

....chatting up his ladies!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 10:18:58 pm »
great pics  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 08:22:02 am »
Wonderful photos.  :)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 12:10:50 pm »
He's got that look in his eye!! lovely ram i love their faces

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 06:16:14 pm »
I bet he was sucking air over his top lip whilst shuddering at some points.

What a wooly bunch with 'bufons' ( hair and not buffons)  you have, I have a one lambkin with such a 'challenged' haircut and she is so so small.

It is nice watching nature prevail at this time of year - rammy is not a 'predator' - but doing his job!

Great photos :)

Baz

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 08:47:33 pm »
The worst part of keeping these is that the ewes have woolly udders so need trimming before lambing, I would have thought that with the rams having woolly gentlemans' bits it would affect their fertility - but it doesn't seem to.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS