Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Magpies Hitching a Ride  (Read 1512 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Magpies Hitching a Ride
« on: September 28, 2011, 05:15:33 pm »
Early each and every morning the Magpies are there perched on the backs / heads of the sheep. Often going from one to the other. The sheep either tolerate them or shake their heads to dislodge them.

Are the birds doing me a favour by picking off something unwanted in their wool or are they up to no good?

Thanks in advance.

:farmer:  :sheep:

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Magpies Hitching a Ride
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:02:21 pm »
they did this to ours earlier in the summer......
everyone reassured me ok and no damage done!
Mx

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:05:35 pm »
Some corvids do pluck wool but the sheep never seem to mind so I have assumed it does no harm and may do some good (though I can't quite see what.)  I haven't seen magpies do it but I suppose if one corvid does, no reason another shouldn't.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 10:11:33 pm »
Sheep often pick up ticks on their muzzles, the magpies pick them off so doing a huge favour! The only down side is that this time of year the corvids are rather partial to blackberries, so any droppings they leave on the sheep turn into groovy purple patches!
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS