Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: which wormer?  (Read 2146 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
which wormer?
« on: September 27, 2011, 10:58:18 am »
what is best to give a very picky cat? After several goes with Drontal I am at my wits end... mixing it with any food she just refuses to eat, she does not swallow for hours if I am radical by gently trying to push it down her gob  ;). I know there are alternatives but taking her to the vet is a bit much fuzz and the powder we used to have is no longer available. Anyone have any suggestions on wormer tasting like a kitty treat? ::) :cat:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: which wormer?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 11:18:19 am »
I use Drontal for mine but because of their weight, used to have to give one and a half - the first one was easy, second one thye knew you were coming  ;D Drontal now do a single tablet for up to 6kg, I think.

Milbemax does up to 6 or 8kg so you only need one pill and it's much smaller than Drontal. Not sure how palatable it is - ours are fine to give pills to.

You can get spot-on wormer now - don't know the name though.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 01:54:28 pm »
I always use Panacur for the cats - they don't even seem to notice it once its in their food x

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 04:01:50 pm »
There are two spot on wormers that are worth considering. Droncit will just do tapeworms but Profender will do both round and tapeworms.

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 04:37:46 pm »
Thank the Lord for Profender!

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 05:59:05 pm »
Hi,

I have just treated my two new arrivals with advocate. Its a couple of tiny drops on the back of their heads and treats both internal and eternal parasites. It dosent hill tapeworm itself but dose kill the parasite which transports it so it breaks the cycle.

It cost me £15 for 3 treatments from the farm vet. I dont use the small animal practice.

Buffy

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 02:45:16 pm »
Advocate will kill fleas which are the parasite that transports one type of tapeworm. Most tapeworms in cats will be from catching and eating mice birds etc and these are not transported by fleas and advocate will have no affect on these.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 07:31:36 pm »
I've just heard that you could use Diatom internally for animals, mixed with food. Has anyone tried this with good results? I feel a bit cautious about it.... :cat: :&>

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 08:45:49 am »
Hi,

(forgive--the--lines--my--space--bar--isnt--working)-I--have--fed--it--to--the--chickens--as--a--wormer--but--dont--know--if--it--was--effective.-The--manufacturers--claim--that--it--works--on--all--sorts--of--bugs--and--nasties--but--im--not--sure--if--the--cats--would--eat--it.

Buffy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS